kcskypilot

Default Craftsman 15" Lathe

Has anyone had a chance to usethe Craftsman 15 in. Lathe, Bench Top,
Variable Speed?

I just burned up the motor in my Harbor Freight 12x36" VS Lathe because my
turning got more serious and the lathe didn't.

I'm also curious if anyone knows the specs on the head and tailstock
fittings. I'm hoping I don't have to retool too much since everything I
have is either 1-8TPI or 2MT.

I thought I would check out your opinions if you have any before I sink any
money into the Craftsman.

kcsky
Ken Moon

"kcskypilot" wrote in message
Has anyone had a chance to usethe Craftsman 15 in. Lathe, Bench Top,
Variable Speed?

I just burned up the motor in my Harbor Freight 12x36" VS Lathe because my
turning got more serious and the lathe didn't.

I'm also curious if anyone knows the specs on the head and tailstock
fittings. I'm hoping I don't have to retool too much since everything I
have is either 1-8TPI or 2MT.

I thought I would check out your opinions if you have any before I sink
any
money into the Craftsman.

kcsky

===================
Darrell Feltmate on this group has one of those, and he has seemed satisfied
with his. Maybe he will chime in and give details. All your accessories
should work on the Craftsman. As I understand, there were 2 different
versions of the 15 in. made; the later is supposed to be better. If you buy
new, that should be no problem. Have you checked on a replacement motor for
the HF? They're usually pretty good on warranty, and not too expensive even
if it's out of warranty.

Ken Moon
Webberville,TX

KC:

One of the most prolific turners on our club has one of those 15"
variable speeds from Sears. He turns all sizes and shapes on it and
loves it.

His only complaint is the noise. After hearing that rascal, it is a
little on the noisy side. Mechanically though, it has been great for
him.

Robert

Darrell Feltmate

Kcsky
I have had one of those Craftsman lathes for several years and am quite
happy with it. It is somewhat noisy compared to my other lathes, but it is a
minor inconvenience. On the other hand I wear hearing protection a lot in
the shop. if you browse my site you can see a lot of stuff that has gone
through this lathe. The spindle is 1x8 and head and tail stocks are #2
Morse.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Rick Cox

We bought the 15" lathe in november and really enjoyed it.
In early march the motor went out. Sears sent a tech out and ordered the
new motor. it has been backordered so many times that they called last
thursday and said it will be in june some time.
The local sears wouldnt take it back so we called the corporate sears and
they agreed to take it back.

we put the money in the 2 hp jet 1642 and really love it.