Going rate for block paving ?

Old July 8th 04, 08:40 PM
Jim

Default Going rate for block paving ?

Hi guys, thinking about getting our driveway re-done, basically replacing
tatty concrete with cobble type blocks, approx 35sqm

Before I get too carried away can someone give me a ball park figure for how
much I should expect to pay for this (I'm in Surrey) Know this is not
strictly DIY but haven't gpot the time to do a proper job myself

Thanks

Jim

Old July 9th 04, 12:01 AM
Magwitch

Jim muttered:

Hi guys, thinking about getting our driveway re-done, basically replacing
tatty concrete with cobble type blocks, approx 35sqm

Before I get too carried away can someone give me a ball park figure for how
much I should expect to pay for this (I'm in Surrey) Know this is not
strictly DIY but haven't gpot the time to do a proper job myself

Thanks

Jim

We found a place in Farnham, Surrey called Pinks Hill, I can't remember how
much the sets were as we were interested in Indian sandstone that was 25
p.sq.m (just like York paving). They were fairly cheap for their quality,
they have a website:

http://www.pinkshill.com

and a telephone no: 01252 727900

Old July 9th 04, 01:07 AM
The Natural Philosopher

Magwitch wrote:

Jim muttered:

Hi guys, thinking about getting our driveway re-done, basically replacing
tatty concrete with cobble type blocks, approx 35sqm

Before I get too carried away can someone give me a ball park figure for how
much I should expect to pay for this (I'm in Surrey) Know this is not
strictly DIY but haven't gpot the time to do a proper job myself

Thanks

Jim

We found a place in Farnham, Surrey called Pinks Hill, I can't remember how
much the sets were as we were interested in Indian sandstone that was 25
p.sq.m (just like York paving). They were fairly cheap for their quality,
they have a website:

http://www.pinkshill.com

and a telephone no: 01252 727900

And we, having visited there, found the same stone not 8 miles away in
suffolk at 19 a sq meter...thanks to a bit of calling up and Cormaics
wonderful site. Kent Blaxill. Just laid the first 2 sq meters of 80 :-(

I'd say 50 a sq meter laid for this sort of job, but consult
wwww.pavingexpert.com for a back site.

Old July 9th 04, 04:39 PM
BillV

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi guys, thinking about getting our driveway re-done, basically replacing
tatty concrete with cobble type blocks, approx 35sqm

Before I get too carried away can someone give me a ball park figure for

how
much I should expect to pay for this (I'm in Surrey) Know this is not
strictly DIY but haven't gpot the time to do a proper job myself

Thanks

Jim

In North Hampshire the going rate seems to be from 30 per square metre.

Old July 9th 04, 09:36 PM
The Natural Philosopher

BillV wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

Hi guys, thinking about getting our driveway re-done, basically replacing
tatty concrete with cobble type blocks, approx 35sqm

Before I get too carried away can someone give me a ball park figure for

how

much I should expect to pay for this (I'm in Surrey) Know this is not
strictly DIY but haven't gpot the time to do a proper job myself

Thanks

Jim

In North Hampshire the going rate seems to be from 30 per square metre.

You should be careful as to what is included in that price. I laid a bit
of stne yesterday, and working to a nice easy rate, teh materials alone
ae about that. Then there is labour on laying, plus of course substrate
preparation for a drive - no use slapping down bricks with anything less
than 4-6" of limestone if you want to back a 12 tonner into it etc.

Old July 9th 04, 10:03 PM
rrh

If I have calculated correctly I paid nearly 80 per square metre for my old
drive and garden path in North London to be ripped up last Autumn and a new
block-paved one installed. That is however with a very thorough removal of
the old drive and extensive preparation of the base, involving a mini-JCB,
lots of other machinery, tons of materials and four days labour by a
hardworking team of two. The quote was in the middle of the range and I
chose the company not just on price but on references and visits to previous
customers' sites. Sadly however I can't recommend the company I chose
because they have refused to fix one of the few problems which have arisen
and I am now waiting for them to pay me what I had to pay another contractor
to fix it, or I will take them to court.

I limited my search to members of Interlay (trade association) and would
probably do so again despite the problems with my chosen company. Others
could be much worse.

If economics is the dismal science then building is the dismal trade, in the
UK at least.
--
RRH

To reply by email, take out insurance.

Old July 10th 04, 02:24 PM
Jim

Thanks guys, only had one quote so far and that was in excess of 5k ie
over 142 a square metre, think I'll have a look at a few more companies !

Cheers

Jim

Old July 11th 04, 01:59 PM
StealthUK

"Jim" wrote in message ...
Hi guys, thinking about getting our driveway re-done, basically replacing
tatty concrete with cobble type blocks, approx 35sqm

Before I get too carried away can someone give me a ball park figure for how
much I should expect to pay for this (I'm in Surrey) Know this is not
strictly DIY but haven't gpot the time to do a proper job myself

Thanks

Jim

If upon breaking the concrete you find a proper sub-base already in
place then this will make a big diff to the amount of labour and
materials involved and subsequently the price.

Crazty paving and wall Brownie UK diy 5 March 13th 04 03:48 PM
p*ss poor flow rate to newly installed shower John UK diy 5 November 25th 03 04:42 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM
flow rate capped ?? cuckoo flower UK diy 0 August 8th 03 04:46 PM
Paving Stone Joints chris French UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:32 AM