Mungo Henning

Default Screwfix Rainwater Diverter - it's 20mm diameter outlets

Hi Folks,
Long time no speak, hence apologies if I am repeating
previously-discussed information here (I did a quick search and found
nothing, hence this post).

At one side of my garage door there is a rainwater downpipe. There is
no room
beside it for a barrel, but plenty of room at the other side of the
garage door.
I got interested in the rainwater diverter (Screwfix sell them for
seven quid)
but there is a limit of 50cm from downpipe to barrel which is no good
for my circumstances.

A quick email to Screwfix met with (I'm guessing) a rapid reply from
their
work-experience person. The twit managed to see my enquiry but invent
his own meaning for it.

I asked: "My rainwater barrel is sited some three metres away from the
drain pipe that will supply it.
What diameter is the output of your Rainwater Diverter assembly so
that I can purchase the appropriate fittings? "

and the Screwfix bod replied:

"This item comes supplied with fittings, from the butt to the down
pipe. So you should not need to buy any extras. "

I then replied and asked them to read my words again but I got the
usual reply in these circumstances ("usual" as defined as within the
UK) which was no reply at all. Sigh.

I bought the diverter anyway, and fitted it last weekend. Brilliant
piece of design in my opinion (with my experience of this being
measured in Days).

For anyone that is interested, the outlet from the diverter and the
diameter of the tank-connector (part of the kit) is 20mm.

Overflow pipes and fitting for cisterns are normally 21.5mm diameter,
but plastic electrical conduit pipe is 20mm.

The kit came with about 60cm length of flexible tubing (to connect the
outlet of the diverter to the tank connector on the barrel). I cut
this in half so that I could use one bit to connect to my 20mm conduit
and the other bit to connect the conduit to the barrel.

A wee smear of washing-up-liquid on the conduit, coupled with a
soaking of the flexible tubing in a container of boiling water meant
that the tubing slipped on to the conduit quite adequately but when it
cooled it feels as if it is a
good joint.

My only goof was to get the levels wrong. The instructions with the
kit tell you to connect the tank connector some 100mm from the top of
the barrel.
Bugger-that says I, I don't want to have 4 inches of air in a
perfectly good
barrel so I connected the fitting some 25mm from the top (sigh).

Even with having a laser level to hand, I guessed at where on the
rainwater pipe the diverter should go and it was only when the barrel
was full that I realised my mistake as water cascaded out the hole in
the top of the barrel.

The particular barrel I am using has two circular holes in the top,
each with a thread and there is a stopper in one.
Rather than jiggle the levels I have acquired a second stopper so now
the barrel is totally sealed (except for the inlet and the outlet).
When you run off water you hear a sucking noise as the air rushing in
to the barrel comes via the downpipe.
This is a trivial price to pay - if it gets annoying I will fit a
small 15mm tank connector in the roof of the barrel and add a few
inches of copper pipe above that to vent outside air into the barrel.

I bought a 22mm quarter-turn ball valve for the output of this barrel
- neat and cheap bit of kit.

Just my experience folks; if anyone requests a digital photo of this
"installation" then drop me a reply and I'll put one on my web site.
Shameless plug for some other amateur photos (nothing rude, mind):
http://www.mungoh.f2s.com/photography.htm

Regards

Mungo :-)

P.S. Now all I need do is wait around for a Dry day where I can use
the stored water - so much for "summer" ! ;-)

Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 10:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 12:03 PM
Rainwater diverter - problem David UK diy 0 July 30th 03 08:31 PM