Lee Derbyshire

Default Apollo 30/50B new top socket - pilot gone yellow?

Hi All,

I recently replaced my Thorn Apollo 30/50B pilot top socket because the old
one had just about crumbled to bits, and wasn't really directing any flame
at the thermocouple any more. Trouble is, with the new one, the pilot flame
has turned quite yellow. If I move the socket about, the amount of yellow
in the flame changes, but I can never quite get rid of it.

The thing is, the new one looked to be of poorer quality than the old one
(slightly mis-shapen). Would this explain the yellow pilot light? If so,
where can I get one that I can be sure is going to be any better? The pilot
jet itself still looks to be in good condition.

Thanks.

Lee.