Bolted

Default Pitched roof

I currently have an awful kitchen extension with a monopitched roof,
that was built by the cowboys from hell and has no redeeming features at
all. It has to go. If I have to replace it, I'd like it to be bigger,
as it is currently a 6m wide by 2.8m deep (i.e. towards garden) galley
kitchen which doesn't really suit a quite big semi.

The neighbouring semi has a flat roofed extension, but I would very much
like to avoid this from a practical perspective as well as aesthetic.
The difficulty is that to extend the depth of the kitchen further into
what is now the garden means that the current monopitch roof can't be
replicated, as there is insufficient height under the first floor
window. There would be enough height for a pitched roof with the gable
end pointing out towards the garden and the slopes heading down toward
the side of the house (on the detached side) and the next-door flat roof
extension on the other side.

My question is, is the a usual way of dealing with this situation? The
slope that abuts the neighbour's wall will need a draining htvalley at
rig angles to the main slope, so that the water flows down toward the
garden. Can anyone help with how is this done, because I am finding it
hard to envisage?
Rick

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:57:18 +0100, Bolted
wrote:

[...]

When I drive arround, I look at peoples houses, we had no idea how to
build our doorway till we found a nice one the other week. give it a
try, it may solve your problem.

Also worth a try is to "interview" a couple of architects, you'll need
one anyways to sort out the building regs submission.

Rick

Malcolm Race

Bolted wrote:

[...]

I recently had an extension built from scratch and the architect said
that to have a mono-pitched roof (using tiles which matched the existing
tiles - my spec.) needed a layer of 'onduline sheeting' (a corrugated
plastic sheet) between the rafters and the tiles as otherwise rain could
blow under the tiles as the pitch of the roof was less than specified
for the design of (common Redland) concrete tiles. IIRC the structure of
the roof is (attempt at ASCIIart)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Tiles
--------------------- battens across the roof
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ onduline sheet
--------------------- battens across roof and felt

HTH

Malcolm

PS so far in 9 months it ts waterproof
Owain

Bolted wrote:
The neighbouring semi has a flat roofed extension, but I would very much
like to avoid this from a practical perspective as well as aesthetic.

There's nothing wrong with flat roofs if they're done and maintained
properly. (Well, I know ....)

The extensions will look much better if they are roofed as a pair (I
assume they will share a party wall but not necessarily have the same
ground plan) in a material harmonious with the main house roof.

I think the best thing here would be to have a mansard-style
slated/tiled steeply pitched perimeter roof around both extensions,
visually tying them together, with a central flat area. This will avoid
the height problem of a full pitch roof, and only require a moderate
superstructure over the neighbour's structural flat roof. It will also
work with a complex ground plan. If your neighbour does not want to
extend (!) his kitchen out to meet yours, the plan of the roof could be
taken out as far from the house as yours, to give him a covered external
area which could be 'shedded' as non-habitable accommodation at a later
date.

Internally the kitchen could have a coombed ceiling up into the mansard,
giving extra internal height, or a suspended ceiling giving increased
insulation, downlighters etc. The mansarded part of the roof might be a
convenient place for extractor fan outlets or boiler flues, using
apprpriate terminals, taking them above head height and reducing their
visual impact.

Owain

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 06:16 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Pitched roof angle Peter Crosland UK diy 14 September 12th 03 10:34 PM