Rob Horton

Default Adding wiring to an existing Stud Wall

Hi, just doing my kitchen and I want to connect a fused spur switch from
an existing double socket on the ring in a stud wall to a socket that
will be behind the fridge. This will need a vertical drop of cable
followed by a horizontal run of perhaps a 1 metre.

I can cut a channel in the plaster board using a stanley knife. However,
how do I then plaster the channel with out it all dropping through to
the inside of the stud wall?

With the cabling, i will have to cross several vertical timbers, I will
have to cut notches for the cable to pass. How deep should the notches
be and do I need to protect the cable in the notches with some sort of
sheilding as mentioned in the previous stud-wall posting?

The cable will be dangling free between the vertical timbers. Is this
acceptable?

Thanks for any advice.
Lobster

Rob Horton wrote:
Hi, just doing my kitchen and I want to connect a fused spur switch from
an existing double socket on the ring in a stud wall to a socket that
will be behind the fridge. This will need a vertical drop of cable
followed by a horizontal run of perhaps a 1 metre.

I can cut a channel in the plaster board using a stanley knife. However,
how do I then plaster the channel with out it all dropping through to
the inside of the stud wall?

With the cabling, i will have to cross several vertical timbers, I will
have to cut notches for the cable to pass. How deep should the notches
be and do I need to protect the cable in the notches with some sort of
sheilding as mentioned in the previous stud-wall posting?

The cable will be dangling free between the vertical timbers. Is this
acceptable?

Look at this thread, currently ongoing elsewhere in this newsgroup, and
which covers this:
http://tinyurl.com/45oca

Also:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/....html#dropping