Cement shelf life

Old March 25th 05, 12:36 PM
mike ring

Default Cement shelf life

I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Just for interest, if it does deteriorate, could anyone explain the
mechanism - it would ease the pain of shelling out for a new bag!

Can anyone advise, please - I have tried googling, but the answers cover
such a wide range I'm not much wiser, and John Scmitt's FAQs don't seem to
answer this one.

mike
Old March 25th 05, 08:00 PM
[email protected]

mike ring wrote:
I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed

mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short

shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Just for interest, if it does deteriorate, could anyone explain the
mechanism - it would ease the pain of shelling out for a new bag!

Can anyone advise, please - I have tried googling, but the answers

cover
such a wide range I'm not much wiser, and John Scmitt's FAQs don't

seem to
answer this one.

mike

should be ok. Normally it sets into a rock when its had it.

NT

Old March 25th 05, 08:43 PM
Mike

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...
I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Just for interest, if it does deteriorate, could anyone explain the
mechanism - it would ease the pain of shelling out for a new bag!

It absorbs moisture from the air and forms hard lumps. If it hasn't done
this I still wouldn't recommend building a house with it but for a fence
post go ahead. The worst it can do is refuse to set.

Old March 25th 05, 09:27 PM
Lobster

mike ring wrote:
I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Aren't you thinking of plaster?

David
Old March 25th 05, 10:34 PM
keith_765

"Lobster" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:
I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Aren't you thinking of plaster?

David

I dont think so. Plaster when its old sets as soon as youve mixed it and
steams

Old March 25th 05, 11:21 PM
nthng2snet

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:34:16 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:
I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Aren't you thinking of plaster?

David

I dont think so. Plaster when its old sets as soon as youve mixed it and
steams

I added some mortar plasticiser liquid, which I had lying around, to
some old cement in a mix which kept it alive a bit longer. The bag was
about 6months old and had been left open.

Old March 25th 05, 11:59 PM
mike ring

"Mike" wrote in :

Just for interest, if it does deteriorate, could anyone explain the
mechanism - it would ease the pain of shelling out for a new bag!

It absorbs moisture from the air and forms hard lumps. If it hasn't done
this I still wouldn't recommend building a house with it but for a fence
post go ahead. The worst it can do is refuse to set.

That's the problem - it does seem to refuse to set, but I wanted to find
out how long I need to wait.

It's been 24hrs and my test bit is still toffeeish, it wouldn't hold up a
post.

I guess that means it's knackered, but with an undated bag, and it looking
perfectly good, it's a bit hard for a muppet like me to tell.

mike
Old March 26th 05, 12:04 AM
mike ring

Lobster wrote in
:

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short
shelf life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Aren't you thinking of plaster?

No, Supamix dry mortar mix.

The bag says store in a dry place, which I have, but no mention at all of a
shelf life or use by date.

mike