capnahab

Default french windows

I am replacing a kitchen window with full length french window in an
old stone farmhouse. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality
french windows. They must be secure.
Can I get double glazed metal windows ?.
Do I need hardwood or softwood ?.
Cheers
Nick
Mike

"capnahab" wrote in message
om...
I am replacing a kitchen window with full length french window in an
old stone farmhouse. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality
french windows.

Do I need hardwood or softwood ?.

Depends if you are in a conservation area/National Park or not. If so then
I suspect you will be expected to use both the usual local wood and style -
which may mean custom made.

Biff

I am replacing a kitchen window with full length french window in an
old stone farmhouse. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality
french windows.

Do I need hardwood or softwood ?.

Well I make French windows, but I'm not really touting for trade as
I'm quite busy. Get back to me if you don't mind waiting a while.
Look out for a local craft joiner and dictate your spec.
Softwood - unless it is larch or Douglas fir don't use it because it
will rot before your grandchildren claim their inheritance. Hardwood
- most of the trade seem to think destroying the rainforests is a
smart idea. Don't go there. Which narrows the choice down to oak. It
will last for ever, it won't need painting, it is strong, it is
beautiful and it's use puts you on the side of the angels. Double
glazing with laminated glass is very secure.

Biff
www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk