Junior Member

Default Cooker Hood and Open (Conventional) Flue Oil Combi Boiler

I have an oil fired combi boiler with a conventional flue in my kitchen.
I want to install a Cooker Hood about 3 metres away from the boiler and vent the hood to the outside. The kitchen is 5 metres long 3.6 metres wide and 2.8 metres high. Having looked at various sources it is not clear if the cooker hood can be used only in the recirculating mode or whether providing additional ventilation from the outside into the kitchen would allow the hood to be vented to the outside. The cooker hood manufacturer says ask the boiler manufacturer and vice versa!!

Any comments welcome.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsaw
I have an oil fired combi boiler with a conventional flue in my kitchen.
I want to install a Cooker Hood about 3 metres away from the boiler and vent the hood to the outside. The kitchen is 5 metres long 3.6 metres wide and 2.8 metres high. Having looked at various sources it is not clear if the cooker hood can be used only in the recirculating mode or whether providing additional ventilation from the outside into the kitchen would allow the hood to be vented to the outside. The cooker hood manufacturer says ask the boiler manufacturer and vice versa!!

Any comments welcome.
Basically you have to try it, do a spillage test on the boiler while the cooker hood is truned on and all doors and windows are shut, then again with ajoining doors to rooms with other competing appliances.

If it doesn't pass open a window until it does. Measure the gap in the window and fit permanent ventilation to that size.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barker
Basically you have to try it, do a spillage test on the boiler while the cooker hood is truned on and all doors and windows are shut, then again with ajoining doors to rooms with other competing appliances.

If it doesn't pass open a window until it does. Measure the gap in the window and fit permanent ventilation to that size.
Thanks Paul for the reply. Can you help on what is a spillage test and how it is done.

Thanks