Sealant for PVC waste to cast iron soil pipe

Old March 11th 05, 11:16 PM
Vaci

Default Sealant for PVC waste to cast iron soil pipe

I recently got a plumber to do some work on my cast iron soil pipe. He
used some kind of thick, black, soft, sticky tar to seal the connection
between a 40mm waste pipe and the (slightly larger) boss pipe on the
soil stack.

Can anybody tell me exactly what this tar is, and where I can get some?
It's definitely not Plumbers Mait! For unforeseen reasons I need to
replace the waste pipe. I can pull it out of the tar easily enough, but
I will need some more to reseal the gap around the new length of pipe.

Vaci

Old March 12th 05, 10:49 AM
chris French

In message .com, Vaci
writes
I recently got a plumber to do some work on my cast iron soil pipe. He
used some kind of thick, black, soft, sticky tar to seal the connection
between a 40mm waste pipe and the (slightly larger) boss pipe on the
soil stack.

Can anybody tell me exactly what this tar is, and where I can get some?

When I mated a plastic soil pipe into a socket on my CI soil stack I
used some 'roof and gutter ' sealant that I already had. This was not a
normal silicone type sealant, it was black and a bit more
'rubbery/tarry' maybe. Anyway it worked fine.

not sure where it actually came from, but nowhere special, a local shed
or BM I would guess.

It wasn't this brand, but this sounds like it:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=11002
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old March 12th 05, 02:23 PM
Broadback

chris French wrote:

In message .com, Vaci
writes

I recently got a plumber to do some work on my cast iron soil pipe. He
used some kind of thick, black, soft, sticky tar to seal the connection
between a 40mm waste pipe and the (slightly larger) boss pipe on the
soil stack.

Can anybody tell me exactly what this tar is, and where I can get some?

When I mated a plastic soil pipe into a socket on my CI soil stack I
used some 'roof and gutter ' sealant that I already had. This was not a
normal silicone type sealant, it was black and a bit more
'rubbery/tarry' maybe. Anyway it worked fine.

not sure where it actually came from, but nowhere special, a local shed
or BM I would guess.

It wasn't this brand, but this sounds like it:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=11002

I know exactly what you mean I bought some myself from a plumbers
merchant in Manchester. Sadly I will not be back to Manchester for a
week, and I cannot remember its name. However I would think most
Plumber Merchants sell it, it comes in a roll of varying widths, the one
I bought cost a little under 6, did the job perfectly, very yucky though.

--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically
Old March 12th 05, 07:29 PM
Vaci

chris French wrote:
When I mated a plastic soil pipe into a socket on my CI soil stack I
used some 'roof and gutter ' sealant that I already had. This was not

normal silicone type sealant, it was black and a bit more
'rubbery/tarry' maybe. Anyway it worked fine.

That's the stuff. It was easy to find in the local hardware store.
However, it appears to be made out of the same stuff as the bowels of
hell itself - it smeared itself very effectively not just all over the
waste pipe, but also on fingers, clothes, threads and washers of
compression fittings, joints of solvent weld fittings, carpet, taps and
the lid of the swarfega tub.

After exorcising the gunk from everything, I gave up on it and instead
made a thick bung from alternate layers of rubbaweld and plumber's
hemp. This seems to have made a tight and firm fitting. I then packed
in more hemp and finished off with a hearty topping of Plumbers Mait.

Hopefully tomorrow, after the solvent welds have cured, it will stand
up up to the bathful of water test...

Vaci

Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 08:15 AM
Cast Iron Soil Stack Ed UK diy 8 November 18th 04 09:39 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM
Replacing cast iron waste pipe Steve Loft UK diy 7 April 12th 04 12:01 AM
cutting a hole in a cast iron soil pipe Steve UK diy 7 August 11th 03 01:08 PM