KJR

Default Timber to Outside Brick Wall

Hi Guys,

looking for some detailed advice here.

I am thinking of erecting a gazebo, one long side of which I would
like to attatch to the side of my house. The question is how ?

The beam to be attached to the house will be between 4 and 5 meters
long, 150mm high and 50mm deep.

What should I be using to secure the beam to the house and at how many
points ?

Feel free to be as detailed as you like
andrewpreece

"KJR" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

looking for some detailed advice here.

I am thinking of erecting a gazebo, one long side of which I would
like to attatch to the side of my house. The question is how ?

The beam to be attached to the house will be between 4 and 5 meters
long, 150mm high and 50mm deep.

What should I be using to secure the beam to the house and at how many
points ?

Feel free to be as detailed as you like

I used sections of angle iron cut to length, it was probably 2" x 2". I used
one on each side of the timber as it attached to the wall. After cutting to
length I drilled four holes in each bit of angle iron to take screws for the
wall and the timber. I gave them a coat of Hammerite, all over, then screwed
them to the timber using coach screw and to the wall using some kind of
bolt-and-rawlplug system. Worked a treat, cheap too if you have some steel
( maybe even alloy ) angle iron hanging about.

Andy.

The Natural Philosopher

KJR wrote:

Hi Guys,

looking for some detailed advice here.

I am thinking of erecting a gazebo, one long side of which I would
like to attatch to the side of my house. The question is how ?

The beam to be attached to the house will be between 4 and 5 meters
long, 150mm high and 50mm deep.

What should I be using to secure the beam to the house and at how many
points ?

I have a cople of porches - ok smallre sacle and so on, but those merely
use expanding bolts into holes drilled in teh render coat.

Thert should not be much stress on a lean-to - you should take teh wight
oina separet vertiacl structure.

Couple of hints, that I hope thers comment on.

I'd put a DPM between timber and the wall, und do some proper lead
flashing let into the brick above, so that he wall is both kept dry, and
any damp evaopartees other than onto that beam.

You should design the gazebo so that it is essentually self supporting,
and just use those bolts to stiop it flapping in the breeze.

Feel free to be as detailed as you like

Rick

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:33:17 +0000, KJR wrote:

Hi Guys,

looking for some detailed advice here.

I am thinking of erecting a gazebo, one long side of which I would
like to attatch to the side of my house. The question is how ?

The beam to be attached to the house will be between 4 and 5 meters
long, 150mm high and 50mm deep.

What should I be using to secure the beam to the house and at how many
points ?

Feel free to be as detailed as you like

Assuming its a brick wall, I'd use 120x12mm frame fixers, about every
300-450mm, but then I have a big box of these things ......

Rick

KJR

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:32:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

You should design the gazebo so that it is essentually self supporting,
and just use those bolts to stiop it flapping in the breeze.

Sorry for the slow respone and thanks for the input.

Slight update, its a pergola not a gazebo, doh !

I was planning on having the side next to the house supported on the
house only, is this not possible ? The pergola would be approx 5M long
and 2M wide, with only 4-5 crossbars running at right angles to the
house/length of pergola.

The other long side would be supported on two 100mm thick posts sunk
into the ground and supported by concrete.

Kenneth.