al

Default Car tyre inflator

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any good/bad
experiences with such devices?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
al wrote:
Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any
good/bad experiences with such devices?

Lidi have a jump start pack which includes a compressor. 20 quid. I doubt
the built in gauge is accurate, but an accurate one can be bought for a
few quid. Exceptional value.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"al" writes:
Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any good/bad
experiences with such devices?

When CPC had them on special offer, I bought one of those combined
compressor/light/car-jump-starter power units with a 17Ah SLA battery
in it. I use this for bicycle and cars -- can take a while with a car
tyre though and the resolution of the guage isn't wonderful. If you
are after accuracy for some reason, I would get a separate tyre
pressure guage.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "al"
wrote:

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump

Get a foot pump, or a workshop compressor that you already want for
something else. For under £100 it's your best option. I've not seen
one of the 12V mini-pumps that wasn't a bad joke.

As a gauge, Sykes-Pickavant do a good quality dial gauge in a rubber
case that was around a tenner last time I looked.
Cuprager

al wrote:
Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any good/bad
experiences with such devices?

I use a Halfords own brand 12v compressor. It is about 10 years old now
but still works a treat... unless you are in a big hurry that is! The
gauge isnt the most accurate so i supliment it with an electronic one,
also Halfords own brand. You could just buy one of the electronic gauges
and check the pressures with that after filling up at the garage...

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Get a foot pump, or a workshop compressor that you already want for
something else. For under £100 it's your best option. I've not seen
one of the 12V mini-pumps that wasn't a bad joke.

IMHO they're better than the average foot pump and cheaper too than a good
one. I've had a cheap one for ages, and it still works fine, which
surprised me. True they are slow, but then so is a foot pump.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The Natural Philosopher

al wrote:

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any good/bad
experiences with such devices?

Ive got a 'run from the ciggy lighter' thing that is supposed to stop
when teh pressure gets to the dial setting. Halfords. Useful for teh
wlan tractor which is always getting thoirns...

I use it in conjunction with a proper pressure gauge of the expanding
cylinder type.

Most dial type gauges are very inaccurate, so I suggest a good pressure
gauge and a separate indiffirent pump is the way to go.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump

Get a foot pump, or a workshop compressor that you already want for
something else. For under £100 it's your best option. I've not seen
one of the 12V mini-pumps that wasn't a bad joke.

Oh,. mine works fine for teh lawn tractor, and although it took ten
minutes, it pumped up a flat on te land river too.

gUAGE DOESN'T WORK THO.

As a gauge, Sykes-Pickavant do a good quality dial gauge in a rubber
case that was around a tenner last time I looked.

Lee

al wrote:
Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any good/bad
experiences with such devices?

Have a cheap Makro 12v thing bought a while ago that does the job,
albeit very slowly and noisily

Just a comment on the petrol station air lines though, the local one has
just installed one of the digital preset air lines - set the required
pressure and it inflates or deflates as necessary.

Accurate too, according to my gauge anyway

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Jonathan Campbell

wrote:

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump

Get a foot pump, or a workshop compressor that you already want for
something else. For under £100 it's your best option. I've not seen
one of the 12V mini-pumps that wasn't a bad joke.

As a gauge, Sykes-Pickavant do a good quality dial gauge in a rubber
case that was around a tenner last time I looked.

Thanks for that (advice on the guage). I have a toyish electronic one
(from USA); I have the impression it is accurate. However, it seems
hard to place properly on the valve: (a) so that I get a consistent
reading; (b) so that air isn't released when measuring. Likewise with
pumps -- or am I all thumbs or are the valves faulty?

Agree with the foot pump. And carry it in the boot at all times -- the
last few times I've had punctures it has saved me the trouble of
changing a tyre. (A big deal when the spare is under the boot and the
boot contains assorted rubbish such as foot pumps ;-) )

Best regards,

Jon C.

al

Ive got a 'run from the ciggy lighter' thing that is supposed to stop when
teh pressure gets to the dial setting. Halfords. Useful for teh wlan
tractor which is always getting thoirns...

I use it in conjunction with a proper pressure gauge of the expanding
cylinder type.

Most dial type gauges are very inaccurate, so I suggest a good pressure
gauge and a separate indiffirent pump is the way to go.

Fortunately, I already have a digital reader. Just looking for something to
get a bit more air into car tyres and also pump up bike tyres too.

al

"Lee" wrote in message
Just a comment on the petrol station air lines though, the local one has
just installed one of the digital preset air lines - set the required
pressure and it inflates or deflates as necessary.

Accurate too, according to my gauge anyway

Yeah, the local Sainsbury's one is like that and seems to be quite accurate.
You shouldn't have driven for more than about a mile before measuring though
for it to be accurate. If you measure it straight off the motorway, the
pressure will be way out when cold.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "al"
wrote:

also pump up bike tyres too.

Then get a bike pump. You don't need much volume, so a hand pump is
fine, but you need greater pressure than typical car inflators can
deliver.

My bike pump is a Silca track pump - probably the best bike pump you
can get. It'll easily do a car tyre (even a 7.50x16) but you wouldn't
want to wait for it, given how long it takes to shift that much air
with a narrow piston.
Cuprager

snip

It'll easily do a car tyre (even a 7.50x16) but you wouldn't

7.50x16 ???
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Cuprager wrote:
It'll easily do a car tyre (even a 7.50x16) but you wouldn't

7.50x16 ???

Taxi? But some consider Land Rovers cars. :-)

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

al

"Vera" wrote in message
I use a Halfords own brand 12v compressor.

We use the same, never had a problem with it. Handy for blowing up the
wheelbarrow ball as well. It's not particularly powerful (will do push
bikes) but if you are not in a hurry it's fine. Use a separate guage.

Isn't clear on the website what it will inflate up to. Says the demo time
of x minutes was with a certain size tyre up to 30psi. However my tyres
need 38psi ... any idea if it will go up that far? Also, bike tyres need
between 35-45psi depending on conditions.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
al wrote:
Isn't clear on the website what it will inflate up to. Says the demo
time of x minutes was with a certain size tyre up to 30psi. However my
tyres need 38psi ... any idea if it will go up that far? Also, bike
tyres need between 35-45psi depending on conditions.

Most of these small battery operated compressors have adaptors for things
like bikes and footballs, etc. And a gauge that reads to 250 psi. If it
was only capable of doing car tyres - so say a maximum of 50 psi, the
gauge would likely be more accurate with that as their maximum.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Cuprager
wrote:

7.50x16 ???

What I had on my Rangie.

g.harman

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:37:39 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

al wrote:

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump

Ive got a 'run from the ciggy lighter' thing that is supposed to stop
when teh pressure gets to the dial setting. Halfords. Useful for teh
wlan tractor which is always getting thoirns...

Mentioning tractors reminds me of the device we used to have for
inflating its tyres . It was an air hose with a valve,piston assembly
that was screwed in place of a sparkplug. It was a TVO fueled Fordson
tractor. You then ran the engine which was only firing on 3 cylinders
while the fourth acted as a compressor.
The prewar design Ford engine objected only mildly to this treatment.
A modern car engine might not like it too much.
Knowing my father it is probably still in his shed somewhere having
gathered cobwebs in the forty years since the tractor became a diesel
model.

G.Harman
T i m

wrote:

al wrote:

Is there such thing as a reasonably cheap and reliable tyre pump with
pressure gauge to save using notoriously unreliable petrol station pumps
(tyres are meant to be cold when you check pressure anyway)? Any good/bad
experiences with such devices?

Ive got a 'run from the ciggy lighter' thing that is supposed to stop
when teh pressure gets to the dial setting. Halfords. Useful for teh
wlan tractor which is always getting thoirns...

One of my mates is a professional gardener and his 'boss' bought a new
mini ride on tractor and from day one it was getting punctures
(thorns).

I suggested he 'fit' Ultraseal [1] in all the tyres, they did and they
haven't had a puncture since ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

[T] Ultraseal is a very special formula 'gloop' that you put inside
each tyre (and it forms a permenant seal (no other repair required) in
most cases (where it would be safe to do so) when you get a puncture).

It is NOT the same as the stuff you get for cycles nor the 'get you
home' solution like Tyre Weld or Finlek (sp?). It is also 'tyre fitter
friendy' as it's water soluable ;-)

It is supposed to be 'fitted' as a preventative measure (fit new tyres
on yer car / motorbike / caravan, fit Ultraseal at the same time sorta
thing) but I have used it retrospectivly 3 times now with good effect
;-)

No connection just a happy user etc etc ..

g.harman

wrote:

al wrote:

[...]

As a kid cycling along thorn covered lanes to and from School I got
fed up with repairing punctures.

Swiping some of Dads polycell wallpaper paste and injecting some into
the tube kept the tyres inflated enough for a few months at a time.
Only problem was the onset of Winter when the mixture froze leading
to a somewhat uneven ride.
Not sure when the proprietary sealants first came out. My DIY version
was in the mid sixties .Perhaps I should have registered the Patent.

G.Harman