David

Default Drum sander/thicknesser wanted

I have a long wish list but right now it is Drum sander/thicknesser
something like 25 cms wide for rough work. Could be home made as long
as it functions. East Anglia

David

Here are two links to see what is out there.

http://www.sbwoodworkingmachinery.co... &prod_id=147
and

http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/drum.cfm

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

Drum sanders that size are not really meant for rough work or
thicknessing.

Well _some_ are.

I know a guy who recycles old church pews. His first-pass thicknesser
is made from a floor sander on an adjustable height carriage over a
roller table. Saves him a lot of damaged knives on the real
thicknesser.
David

Yes Andy . I had a thought about those last night - Not all night. But
having used the sanders in the past all i can remember is a lot of high
frequency noise. Maybe it was the floor vibrating that amplified that.
I am using recycled timber so the planer option is not viable. Any
home made versions out there ?

Norman Billingham

wrote:

Drum sanders that size are not really meant for rough work or
thicknessing.

Have a look at the latest Jet catalogue. They have a new narrow
(about 10" model) which looked good when I saw it at the Ally Pally
woodwork show last week. Not cheap mind at close to GBP 600!

I covet but can't justify!
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "David"
wrote:

Yes Andy . I had a thought about those last night - Not all night. But
having used the sanders in the past all i can remember is a lot of high
frequency noise.

That's because they're American, and American power tools (the good
"classic" ones) are beautifully made but pitifully badly designed.
Much of the noise is actually siren or whistle noise from the airflow,
which is just sloppy design work. Last floor sander I used was Italian
- very quiet in comparison.

Paul Mc Cann

In article .com,
says...
Here are two links to see what is out there.

http://www.sbwoodworkingmachinery.co... &prod_id=147
and

Well the smallest here is the Jet at 405 mm which is getting close to
twice what the o.p. requested, and it definiteley will not cope with
rough sanding or thicknessing
http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/drum.cfm

And the smallest here is 26".

--
Paul Mc Cann
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I know a guy who recycles old church pews. His first-pass thicknesser
is made from a floor sander on an adjustable height carriage over a
roller table. Saves him a lot of damaged knives on the real
thicknesser.

Ingenious, Andy, but hardly a drom sander

Why not? It sands, it has a drum?

and he is not going to get
much accuracy when it comes to thicknessing is he ?

Why not? The carriage is better made than most lunchbox thicknessers
and it seems reasonably stable. It's a bit on the narrow side,
admittedly, but can handle boards in three passes under the drum.
David

Perhaps i had better explain a bit more. This is basically for cleaning
up reclaimed timber, pallet wood, scaffold board etc. My customers like
the used look. Probably use 40 or 60 grit and finish with my orbital.
This is not cabinet making but I really need it soon, cos it is really
hard work and right now =A3600 does not seem too much. I looked at the
Jet model, is that up for it I ask myself. Has anybody got one or is
there a chunkier beast out there ? I have over 100 metres of scaffold
board to clean very soon, not easy.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

Now you're just being silly.

I just don't see how you can argue with this thing (Heath Robinson
lashup though it might be) being a drum sander.

Incidentally, if he is hitting nails etc with his floor sander in his
quest to save damage to the blades on his thicknesser,

It's not the proud nails that are the problem - you can see those
beforehand and punch them through. It's the ones that snapped off at
the surface that you don't notice.

I'm intrigued to know how he feeds this contraption and what, if any,
accuracy he gets with the thicknessing.

Pushing from the end. Don't let go, or it _will_ fire the board back
outwards. I never claimed it was safe !

And lastly I would imagine most church pews would have a quite good
finish on them

Except for the ends, or any supporting bracketry. It's not _just_
pews either. The main reasons for thicknessing pews are to get the
finish off, and to bring them to a consistent thickness. In the same
workshop they also build furniture out of some of them.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Holly, in France"
wrote:

Metal detector?

I know a couple of people who recycle timber like this. This guy has
an expensive "Little Wizard" metal detector that doesn't work. The
other uses an ex-army mine detector that's much better.

If he wants to take them out eventually that is, or does
he just leave them in the finished furniture?

You really need to saw round them. Neither metal studs or holes are
that desirable in furniture. OTOH, the guy who does the really huge
chunky mirrors likes all the bits of dross he can get and isn't above
scorching the surface with a blowlamp.

Holly, in France

Andy Dingley wrote in message

It's not the proud nails that are the problem - you can see those
beforehand and punch them through. It's the ones that snapped
off at the surface that you don't notice.

Metal detector? If he wants to take them out eventually that is, or does
he just leave them in the finished furniture?

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Now you're just being silly.

I just don't see how you can argue with this thing (Heath Robinson
lashup though it might be) being a drum sander.

I'm sorry its simply not what is recognised as a drum sander.

Incidentally, if he is hitting nails etc with his floor sander in his
quest to save damage to the blades on his thicknesser,

It's not the proud nails that are the problem - you can see those
beforehand and punch them through. It's the ones that snapped off at
the surface that you don't notice.

And they will still make s***e of his backing pads and abrasive sheets
;-)

I'm intrigued to know how he feeds this contraption and what, if any,
accuracy he gets with the thicknessing.

Pushing from the end. Don't let go, or it _will_ fire the board back
outwards. I never claimed it was safe !

Presumable he then has to have someone help him pull them through. A
floor sander has one hell of a kick as you would soon find out if you
placed it on a loose board so forcing a church pew under one while
attempting to take any sort of substantial cut is no mean feat and is
going to take a lot of force. Light cuts possibly but nothing heavy I
would imagine. How does he keep them aligned given that boards regularly
skew when being fed through a thicknesser

_
pews either. The main reasons for thicknessing pews are to get the
finish off, and to bring them to a consistent thickness. In the same
workshop they also build furniture out of some of them.

Ahh the penny is beginning to drop. He is really only removing the
finish and surface grime so he should not really be taking very much of
a cut at all. .01mm should achieve that. But we are not really talking
about heavy drum sanding here are we ?

Incidentally I repeat what I said at the beginning of this thread. No
small drum sander is going to do what the o.p. requested, IMHO. I even
doubt if a very large industrial unit would do it.
--
Paul Mc Cann
Holly, in France

wrote:

Metal detector?

I know a couple of people who recycle timber like this. This
guy has an expensive "Little Wizard" metal detector that
doesn't work. The other uses an ex-army mine detector that's
much better.

We have an ordinary metal detector, mid-range one, which we bought just
for interest in looking for old bits and pieces on the sites of houses
that we renovate. It's a bit cumbersome for use on timber and we don't
need to use it very often, but it works perfectly when we do. Good for
finding underground pipe runs sometimes too, as long as they have metal
fittings.

If he wants to take them out eventually that is, or does
he just leave them in the finished furniture?

You really need to saw round them. Neither metal studs or holes are
that desirable in furniture. OTOH, the guy who does the really huge
chunky mirrors likes all the bits of dross he can get and isn't above
scorching the surface with a blowlamp.

And there is that Mexican stuff with the regular, punched, wormholes!
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Stuart Noble

And there is that Mexican stuff with the regular, punched, wormholes!

I have it on fairly good authority that the holes in that Mexican stuff are
made by real termites! A furniture dealer I knew had a piece returned to his
shop because the customer heard noises coming from it. Imagination? Well,
the dealer set fire to it, and he wasn't the sort of bloke to see that sort
of money go up in flames. I believe he carried on selling that range of
furniture without further incident.

Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Hm. Nice place you've got there

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Stuart Noble"
wrote:

I have it on fairly good authority that the holes in that Mexican stuff are
made by real termites!

Termites don't make holes. If you have holes, then it's some sort of
beetle larvae.

Termites hollow the thing out entirely, then it collapses. They don't
like surfacing, they don't need to go outdoors, and they've no
personal interest in breeding - so termite attack is not only hugely
damaging, it's often almost invisible until it's far too late.

We might have a lousy climate in this country, but at least it keeps
us termite and (largely) cockroach free.

Holly, in France

Stuart Noble wrote in message

And there is that Mexican stuff with the regular, punched,

wormholes!

I have it on fairly good authority that the holes in that Mexican

stuff are
made by real termites!

Doubt it was termites, maybe sometimes by some other real insect but not
termites, as Andy has explained. The holes I mean are definitely not
made by insects, they are in regular patterns and the same patterns are
repeated in different places on all the pieces of furniture. No insects
are that clever :-)

,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Hm. Nice place you've got there

Thanks. Yes and no :-) It's a lovely spot in a great location, it was
just what we wanted and it took ages to find it. But the main house
layout doesn't suit us particularly well, and previous owners have done
various renovations to varying standards and with varying tastes, some
of the wiring is dodgy and the plumbing system is truly bizarre! Apart
from sorting out some of the wiring and altering the heating a bit, it
is the sort of thing where you can't really justify spending the money
to do it all again, so we just live with it. The gite of course is
perfectly renovated (well except that the kitchen's a bit naff), cos we
did that ourselves :-)) But yeah, overall it is a nice place, we are
lucky to live here.

Holly

David

Do they sell drum sanders there ?

Holly, in France

David wrote:
Do they sell drum sanders there ?

Where?! Here in France? In Mexico? where?

You really do need to quote the bit of the message that you are replying
to.....