Shabs

Default Can "conservatory" have a tiled roof.

I have asked my planning department for conservatory planning and they
stated it was not needed for a conservatory in my garden when i gave
them my address.

I want a dwarf wall building with glass surroundings but a normal
roof, ie tiled. Will this classify my buidling as a conservatory? or
must i have a polycarbonate or glass roof?
dave

"Shabs" wrote in message
om...
I have asked my planning department for conservatory planning and they
stated it was not needed for a conservatory in my garden when i gave
them my address.

I want a dwarf wall building with glass surroundings but a normal
roof, ie tiled. Will this classify my buidling as a conservatory? or
must i have a polycarbonate or glass roof?

when I asked my LA I was told it had to have a transparent sloping roof. I
wanted to builb brick walls with 8ft patio doors and windows in the side.
This was over 10 years ago though.

Dave

mrcheerful

"Shabs" wrote in message
om...
I have asked my planning department for conservatory planning and they
stated it was not needed for a conservatory in my garden when i gave
them my address.

I want a dwarf wall building with glass surroundings but a normal
roof, ie tiled. Will this classify my buidling as a conservatory? or
must i have a polycarbonate or glass roof?

to qualify a certain percentage of the roof must be translucent, as must the
walls, so a fully tiled roof is out, that will be an extension, you may
still not need pp. look on your council website.

mrcheerful

jim.arnold

Not according to my local council - must have a translucent roof no
mention of the walls though
So I built what was essentially an extension but with lots of windows
and a patio door in one wall to the maximum size to escape PP. All of
the walls weere double skinned and the roof was triple glazed
polycarbonate - works well.
As its such a cheap project dont skimp on roof materials - use nice
hardwood windows and hardwood beams
Christian McArdle

I want a dwarf wall building with glass surroundings but a normal
roof, ie tiled. Will this classify my buidling as a conservatory?

No. Indeed you may find it illegal to build your intended building.

You need the conservatory exemption to be able to have glass walls. As it
would count as an extension, the glazing would be above the maximum allowed
for simple uValue calculation and it would be very difficult to achieve the
right results using the other methods.

The only method I can think of that may be successful is showing an
improvement over the entire property. i.e. the calculated heat losses in the
new extension must be matched by improving insulation massively in the rest
of the property, so as a whole, the building is more energy efficient than
it was before the extension.

Christian.

Brian Sharrock

"Shabs" wrote in message
om...
I have asked my planning department for conservatory planning and they
stated it was not needed for a conservatory in my garden when i gave
them my address.

I am not an expert in this area: but AIUI; you may have
misunderstood what you were told .... on learning your
address the 'Planning Dept' my have observed that
no previous extensions had been erected there - therefore
within certain constraints -you would not need _planning_
permission to develop within your permitted development
volume.

I want a dwarf wall building with glass surroundings but a normal
roof, ie tiled. Will this classify my buidling as a conservatory? or
must i have a polycarbonate or glass roof?

The design, strength, materials to be used are now matters
of Building Control ... go ask them ... .

HTH

--

Brian

Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Leaky Ultraframe conservatory roof Jasper UK diy 6 December 2nd 03 11:43 PM