Stefek Zaba

Default OB d-i-y: ATX PSUs

Sitting on the "bench" across the room is a new upper-midrange
motherboard (Gigabyte GA-8IK1100), just filled with a 2.8G P4, and an
immodest 2GB of ECC PC2700 RAM. (It's going to replace the Athlon mobo
processing these very keystrokes, which is slightly prone to
misbehaviour under both Windows and *BSD. And I run enough long compiles
and similar that I won't have non-ECC RAM, which restricts my choice of
mobos quite heavily, sigh.)

It's running its first powerup right now - Memtest86, of course. The
weirdness, tho', was connecting a fancy "silent" PSU - no rubbish here,
a Tagan TG480-U01. Did the usual minimum install - memory, CPU,
heatsink+fan, vid card, and spare KVM-switch inputs for mouse and kbd.
Plugged in the PSU, incl the 12V aux supply. Turn on PSU switch,
momentarily short the "power switch" mobo pins. "Almost" nothing - a
little LED lights on the mobo by the DIMMs, to indicate standby power is
being supplied (so meaning DON'T fiddle with the DIMMs or the PCI
cards!), but no full-on PSU turnon (and I did have an old HD and a CDROM
to provide a 12V load too). Shorting the "power" pin for 4s turns the
little LED off again, a momentary touch lights it, but again, as we say
in the Valleys, dim bootio, dim PSU-fullonio.

Disconnect PSU, short its ATX-pwr pin 14 (green wire) to adjacent black
(ground) pin. Nothing. Dim sausigio. I was sure 'normal' ATX PSUs were
supposed to switch-on while pin 14 was grounded? And indeed, nipping
down the road to PCWorld (I know, I know...) and picking up a less
fancy-pants ATX PSU (still 450W-nominal, yada yada) yields one which not
only comes on full with pin 14 grounded, but powers up the mobo
perfectly well.

I call that more or less conclusive evidence of misbehaviour by the
Tagan PSU, but just before I make an arse of myself sending it back to
the fine people at overclockers.co.uk - does anyone with relevant
PC-assembly experience want to clue me in on any simple oopsie?

Oh, and in the realms of "obvious when you think about it": the
processor fan, running under the mobo's own speed control, is doing nice
slow revs, and the hs heatpipes are barely warm to the touch. But as
there's no case fan moving any air, the *memory* modules are letting off
'noticeable' amounts of heat! (Kinda reasonable the moment you think
about it, since Memtest86 is full-on accessing all of RAM just as fast
as the memory controller will let it!). An infra-red thermometer claims
to see temps of 55C or so on the DIMMs (and on a few spots of the
similarly unfanned vidcard). Still, if they survive a 'burnin' like
this, they should be happier in the case with reasonable airflow!

Stefek
John Rumm

Stefek Zaba wrote:

Disconnect PSU, short its ATX-pwr pin 14 (green wire) to adjacent black
(ground) pin. Nothing. Dim sausigio. I was sure 'normal' ATX PSUs were
supposed to switch-on while pin 14 was grounded?

Yup, indeedy

And indeed, nipping
down the road to PCWorld (I know, I know...) and picking up a less
fancy-pants ATX PSU (still 450W-nominal, yada yada) yields one which not
only comes on full with pin 14 grounded, but powers up the mobo
perfectly well.

Me thinks you have your answer....

I call that more or less conclusive evidence of misbehaviour by the
Tagan PSU, but just before I make an arse of myself sending it back to
the fine people at overclockers.co.uk - does anyone with relevant
PC-assembly experience want to clue me in on any simple oopsie?

Lets assume that your turned on the nice rocker switch on the back of
the PSU for a moment... ;-)

And it has not got an input voltage selector slider thingy that is slid
(or not slid) in the wrong (or right) place, nor somewhere betwixt the
two of them, then, your PSU is in need of buttering and eating...

(i.e. is toast)

Oh, and in the realms of "obvious when you think about it": the
processor fan, running under the mobo's own speed control, is doing nice
slow revs, and the hs heatpipes are barely warm to the touch. But as
there's no case fan moving any air, the *memory* modules are letting off
'noticeable' amounts of heat! (Kinda reasonable the moment you think
about it, since Memtest86 is full-on accessing all of RAM just as fast
as the memory controller will let it!). An infra-red thermometer claims
to see temps of 55C or so on the DIMMs (and on a few spots of the
similarly unfanned vidcard). Still, if they survive a 'burnin' like
this, they should be happier in the case with reasonable airflow!

55 hardly counts as warm in reality... I would rather have em a bit
cooler, but they will survive that indefinitely (well until your shiny
new processor seems hopelessly inadequate for running solitaire, and
hence you upgrade it to something that won't fit in the motherboard and
wants DDR7 RAM or some such). Oops my MB expansion potential cynicism is
showing ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.