Martin

Default Is Plaster a non-combustible material?

Hi Group,
I'm fitting a gas stove into the chimney opening in our front room. The
spec of the stove states all surfaces should be at least 50mm from
non-combustible material. I would like to plaster the internal brick walls
and paint them so as to have a smooth finish. So is plaster a
non-combustible material?

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

andrewpreece

"Martin" wrote in message
Hi Group,
I'm fitting a gas stove into the chimney opening in our front room.

The
spec of the stove states all surfaces should be at least 50mm from
non-combustible material. I would like to plaster the internal brick

walls
and paint them so as to have a smooth finish. So is plaster a
non-combustible material?

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

It is non-combustible. However, it's not terribly heat-proof. I doubt it
would last long
lining a chimney. I'm not sure if you mean you want to plaster inside the
chimney,
or plaster around the stove on the chimney breast. If it's the latter then I
think plaster
is OK.if you want to plaster inside the chimney the advice I have is that a
render with
lime in it is heat resistant, probably 1:3 hydrated lime:sand or 1:2:9
cement:lime:sand.
The first of those mixes is lime mortar and only achieves full strength
after 6 weeks
or so. The second mix will set more quickly as it contains some cement. I
defer to
anyone with more experience in the matter,

Andy.

Cicero

"Martin" wrote in message
Hi Group,
I'm fitting a gas stove into the chimney opening in our front room.

The
spec of the stove states all surfaces should be at least 50mm from
non-combustible material. I would like to plaster the internal brick

walls
and paint them so as to have a smooth finish. So is plaster a
non-combustible material?

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

==============
Paint may not be non-combustible, depending on what kind of paint you
choose. I think there were some bad house fires some years ago caused by
painted surfaces which allowed rapid fire spread. Check out the kind of
paint you intend using for its potential fire risk.

Cic.

Martin

Thanks Cic,
I was looking for heat proof paint today, could only find black from
Hammerite. The guy in the shop said any water based paint would be ok.

Martin.

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

"Martin" wrote in message
Hi Group,
I'm fitting a gas stove into the chimney opening in our front room.

The
spec of the stove states all surfaces should be at least 50mm from
non-combustible material. I would like to plaster the internal brick

walls
and paint them so as to have a smooth finish. So is plaster a
non-combustible material?

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

==============
Paint may not be non-combustible, depending on what kind of paint you
choose. I think there were some bad house fires some years ago caused by
painted surfaces which allowed rapid fire spread. Check out the kind of
paint you intend using for its potential fire risk.

Cic.

The Natural Philosopher

andrewpreece wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

I totally agree with you. I have a similar finsih round my wood burner,
with masterboard for teh register plate, and its all fine.

I cautin that even that mortar (and teh bricks used with it) may degrade
in the rear of open fires where temps 1000C are possible.
Andy.

The Natural Philosopher

Martin wrote:

Thanks Andy,
I mean to plaster around the stove inside the chimney breast alcove.

He means that too. Use lime render with white cement. Something like
equal parts of lime and white Portland and some sand bunged in.

There is no way any paint will stand up to any sort of heat. If you want
a decor, use tiles.

The Natural Philosopher

Martin wrote:

Thanks Cic,
I was looking for heat proof paint today, could only find black from
Hammerite. The guy in the shop said any water based paint would be ok.

He is probably IMM then.

All painst are based on organic cacrriers of pigmnents. Few organics
stand up to much more than a couple of hundred degrees without
discoloration and degradation.

Distempere might work.

Or simply get some artists pitments and add to your cement render,

Martin.

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

"Martin" wrote in message
om...

Hi Group,
I'm fitting a gas stove into the chimney opening in our front room.

The

spec of the stove states all surfaces should be at least 50mm from
non-combustible material. I would like to plaster the internal brick

walls

and paint them so as to have a smooth finish. So is plaster a
non-combustible material?

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

==============
Paint may not be non-combustible, depending on what kind of paint you
choose. I think there were some bad house fires some years ago caused by
painted surfaces which allowed rapid fire spread. Check out the kind of
paint you intend using for its potential fire risk.

Cic.

andrewpreece

Martin wrote:

Thanks Cic,
I was looking for heat proof paint today, could only find black from
Hammerite. The guy in the shop said any water based paint would be ok.

He is probably IMM then.

All painst are based on organic cacrriers of pigmnents. Few organics
stand up to much more than a couple of hundred degrees without
discoloration and degradation.

Distempere might work.

Or simply get some artists pitments and add to your cement render,

Martin.

I have some paint called 'Pot Black' ( nothing to do with snooker ), which
is for painting
hot engine components, it may be able to cope with the indirect heat on the
inside of an
alcove. It only comes in black AFAIK. You can get it at an automotive
accesories shop.
Black may well be your only colour option at that temperature.

Andy.

Stuart Noble

Martin wrote:

[...]

Any of the oxides (red, yellow, black or mixtures of ) would be ok. Sold as
cement additives and originally produced at furnace temperatures.

doozer

I totally agree with you. I have a similar finsih round my wood burner,
with masterboard for teh register plate, and its all fine.

I cautin that even that mortar (and teh bricks used with it) may degrade
in the rear of open fires where temps 1000C are possible.

Are you sure open fires can produce greater than 1000 degC? They can
certainly get to several hundred degrees (I would guess 400 to 600) but
I am very sceptical that they can get to 1000.

I used to do quite a bit of high temperature chemistry where we started
work at 950 and that was a sight hotter than our fire ever gets.

Andy.

plasterboard onto old plaster? David UK diy 6 December 22nd 04 05:18 PM
video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 01:36 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM