Clive Long,UK

Default Glue PVC(?) to uPVC

Hi.

I need to attach some curtains to uPVC windows.

The window frames are new uPVC

The rails are extendable aluminium rods with a "Hook and socket"
arrangment at the end. The "hook" is on the end of the extendable
rail and the "socket or eye" has to be fixed to the window frame.

The rails are carrying net curtains with light weights at the end
(the intended use of the rails).

The rail was supplied with self-adhesive foam pads. However, these
are not strong enough to hold the rail to the uPVC frame.

I have tried various glues (Bostick and Copydex) and other pads -
such as self-adhesive Velcro - but eventually the "socket" "peels off"
the uPVC frame and the whole setup falls to the floor in an untidy
heap.

I tried sand-papering the surface of the "socket" (Surface 1.5cm by
2.5cm) to try to get a key for the various glues to adhere to - but
did not improve the situation. The socket becomes detached from the
window frame in minutes or hours.

Anyone succeeded in fixing these rails to a uPVC frame and can
pass on the suggestion?

Thanks

Clive
Alex

Use a super glue with accelerator,sometimes marketed as joiners mate or
mitre maker,sticks pvc trims to metal and upvc windows

Colin Wilson

I need to attach some curtains to uPVC windows.

After struggling for years with this sort of "solution" I went along to
Woolworths and discovered they had a sprung net rod that does the trick
just great as long as you have a frame it can "expand" in to.

You set the length to slightly wider than the frame and compress it to
get it inside the frame of the window, and simply "let go" and the spring
tension holds it there.

Sadly, I haven`t discovered a way to do this for the bay window we have
:-}

The Natural Philosopher

Colin Wilson wrote:

I need to attach some curtains to uPVC windows.

You could try the type of cement that plumbers use to joint PVC waste
pipes. It dissolves the PVC a little and really does work.

However are your curtain rods really PVC? If not it probably won't
bond...Cyanoacrylate may work for you.

Michael Mcneil

Colin Wilson wrote:

I need to attach some curtains to uPVC windows.

You could try the type of cement that plumbers use to joint PVC waste
pipes. It dissolves the PVC a little and really does work.

However are your curtain rods really PVC? If not it probably won't
bond...Cyanoacrylate may work for you.

Failing that, attatch some 2x1 PAR to the plasterboard above the windows
and screw in hangers from there.

Simon

"Clive Long,UK" wrote in message
om...
[...]

there are some acrylic hi bond double sided tapes (3M VHB for instance)
about that would do the job, but they aren't very cheap. Construction
adhesives like devweld 530 would undoubtedly do the job

another option would be to source some of those double sided pads that are
used to stick rear view mirrors on to windscreens

Clive Long,UK

Fixing curtain rails to uPVC window frames

Outcome:

I cleaned all surfaces with sand-paper and meths.

I "keyed" the socket/eyelet with sandpaper.

I glued the surfaces using epoxy resin and left for 24 hours before
re-attaching the curtain rail and curtains.

The rails have now stayed in place for two days.

Relief.

Undoing hide glue Robert UK diy 1 May 26th 04 12:56 PM
Glue for Sony walkman headset? John Smith UK diy 13 March 23rd 04 08:48 PM
Fixing plastic hooks to uPVC window frames Jay UK diy 1 March 22nd 04 11:40 PM
Wooden vs uPVC door dilemma! Simon UK diy 10 November 12th 03 09:42 PM
Glueless laminate floor and glue.. Abso UK diy 11 July 14th 03 11:49 PM