Lee

Default Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Temperature too high

Hi,

I have a hotpoint mistral FF92 fridge freezer. The temperature in both
the freezer and the fridge has been climbing and falling continuously
between -22 to -11 and +4 to +20 degrees respectively over the past
couple of days. Although today, the fridge is just sitting there at
+20.

I've cleared all the fluff that had collected on the condensor behind
the kick plate and tried it with both compartments 1/2 full and 3/4
full. It's been stood in it's current position for over a year.

It's making all the usual noises except there's no cold air coming
through the vent in the top right corner of the fridge.

I'm not much of an electrician but I'd like to have a go at fixing it
myself if it will save me the £90 call out charge from hotpoint and
teach me a little more 'Fridge Maintenance'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
BigWallop

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If the unit has frost free, then this sounds about the normal procedure. A
frost free unit actually allows the temperature to rise so it can displace any
icing on the parts it needs to clear. It doesn't thaw any of the goods stored
in the compartments, or shouldn't, because the de-frosting times are far to
short.

When the temperature starts to rise way above zero in the freezer section, then
you can start to worry.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Lee

Lee wrote:

I have a hotpoint mistral FF92 fridge freezer. The temperature in both
the freezer and the fridge has been climbing and falling continuously
between -22 to -11 and +4 to +20 degrees respectively over the past
couple of days. Although today, the fridge is just sitting there at
+20.

I've cleared all the fluff that had collected on the condensor behind
the kick plate and tried it with both compartments 1/2 full and 3/4
full. It's been stood in it's current position for over a year.

It's making all the usual noises except there's no cold air coming
through the vent in the top right corner of the fridge.

Since we have a Mistral also, I kept a note of some previous posts
Ours is a 8596 with the LCD display, but I think they are all similar.

Check the evaporator thermistor;
(on the 8596, remove the fan cover in the freezer compartment and then
the back panel and the thermistor is cable tied to the evaporator coil).
It should read:

@room temp approx 3Kohms
@0 deg C approx 9K ohms
@-20 deg C approx 26K ohms.

There are two other thermistors, but this one is apparently the one that
usually fails.

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Lee

Lee wrote in message ...
Lee wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that Lee.

I've taken off the fan cover. The fan isn't turning and the two pipes
at the top left are frozen over. Also items at the top of the of the
freezer aren't frozen whereas those at the bottom are (guess this is
down to the fan).

Think I've identified the thermistor but how do I read it? Do I need
some sort device to measure resistance?

Lee

Lee

Lee wrote:

I've taken off the fan cover. The fan isn't turning and the two pipes
at the top left are frozen over. Also items at the top of the of the
freezer aren't frozen whereas those at the bottom are (guess this is
down to the fan).

Think I've identified the thermistor but how do I read it? Do I need
some sort device to measure resistance?

Lee

Yep, you will need to check its resistance, probably easiest at the plug
in connector, can you borrow a Multimeter or DMM - or someone who has
one?
Might be an excuse to buy one of those £3 cheapies that Maplin and the
like sell, they are good enough for this sort of application and will be
useful for other things...

Obvious I know, but measure it with the power off!!

The usual failure mode of thermistors is open, so it should be fairly
obvious if it has completely failed.
Worth checking that the resistance is about right at the various temps
though. If you can.
This one is the one that commonly fails, apparently because of the
constant freeze/thaw it has to endure, but there are another two
additional thermistors that it could also be.

Also worth checking that the *fridge* door switch works correctly,
because this stops the *freezer* fan, when the *fridge* door is
open - at least it does on ours...

If the thermistors check out ok, then it's probably engineer time, if
the unit is worth it.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 11:12 PM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Ian UK diy 2 January 14th 04 01:44 AM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer - Freezer defrosted red light on any ideas? Suz UK diy 0 September 5th 03 01:59 AM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 08:06 PM
Problem with Fridge Freezer [email protected] UK diy 1 July 29th 03 10:23 PM