Default Would You Tip a Plumber

On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.
Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip.
Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

Kevin

Harvey Van Sickle

On 02 Mar 2005, wrote

On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.
Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip.
Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

One's ex-partner when they pick up the kids on time?

--
Cheers,
Harvey
in2minds

On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.
Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip.
Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

don't know about plumbers (they charge enough to start with), but I
tipped a roofer once for doing more than he quoted for and coming on a
Sunday.

LJ

TheScullster

Seconded!

Moving is a stressful time!
We used a local Hull company Hardakers and the guys they sent lightened the
day with one-liners (probably used the same one-liners for 30 years).
But it lightened the day for all concerned and resulted in decent tips for
their efforts!

Phil

bof

In message , Sam Nelson
writes

Last time we moved house, the Pickfords crew that turned up did a fantastic
job. I couldn't fault them, and I have plenty of experience of good and
bad removers. They got good tips.

Yep same as my experience with Pickfords, with the same outcome for the
blokes . . . and a tip for others, Pickfords are amenable to haggling,
we got them down to 40% of their original quote, which was only a little
more than the quotes from Taykitt & Scarper type operations.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
raden

In message , bof
writes
In message .com,
writes
On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.
Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip.
Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

Splutter . . . my monitor is now covered with tea.

You need a mac you do

--
geoff
bof

In message , raden
writes
In message , bof
writes
In message .com,
writes
On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.
Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip.
Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

Splutter . . . my monitor is now covered with tea.

You need a mac you do

As in plastic?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
raden

In message , bof
writes
In message , raden
writes
In message , bof
writes
In message .com,
writes
On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.
Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip.
Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

Splutter . . . my monitor is now covered with tea.

You need a mac you do

As in plastic?

Saves on wipers ...

--
geoff
Ronnie Gibson

"bof" wrote in message ...
In message , raden writes
In message , bof writes

Splutter . . . my monitor is now covered with tea.

You need a mac you do

As in plastic?

Maybe he's referring to the practice of selling most Mac computers without monitors...
if you don't have a monitor you wouldn't be able to splutter tea all over it

The mac mini doesn't come with a monitor AND it's small so it's a lot less likely
to get covered with tea.

trollSounds like as good a reason to buy a computer as 'cause it looks nice'.
You want something that looks nice....go buy a painting.
/troll
;-

Ronnie

Sam Nelson wrote:
kajr writes:
On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.

******** to that idea. I've never met a plumber that good, or one
that didn't give me the distinct impression he'd already added the

tip
to the bill.

Indeed, bugger/plumber I had around (for a 1 day job) went driving
around in his van 'Looking for parts' for 1/2 day, which stretched the
job to a 2 day-er. Bodged the job by chiselling a huge great hole in
the wall for a soil pipe. Then overcharged me.

He didn't get tipped.

Contrasted with the Dbl Glazing installers, who patched up a heck of a
section of brickwork for me, but wouldn't take any cash in hand for it.
So they all got tipped.

Cheers,

Paul.

Sam Nelson

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
the only time I've ramped a bill up was when I got called out on a
Sunday to do a non-urgent job and it was being paid for by an insurance
company.

Ooh, look, a victimless crime.

The last - and only - time we used removers I tipped them, only to find
as we unpacked that they'd tipped themselves already.

Um, er. Did you report the theft?
--
SAm.
John Stumbles

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
John Stumbles writes:

the only time I've ramped a bill up was when I got called out on a
Sunday to do a non-urgent job and it was being paid for by an insurance
company.

Ooh, look, a victimless crime.

If any pedant steps in to say "Oh but it puts up all our insurance
premiums" I'll give them a (virtual) smack in the teeth:

1: when a passing delivery truck broke the wing mirror off my van I went
out and bought a new one and fitted it the next day, then spent ages
trying (in vain) to get the other party's insurers to give me a modest
amount for the time I'd spent sorting it out rather than spending ages
getting 2 quotes and getting it fixed by someone else which would
probably have cost them a lot more but which they'd have paid (accroding
to their rules)

2: we had our car stolen last week and our insurers won't pay for the
theft because the doors weren't locked, because on previous breakins (in
public car parks rather than outside our house where it was parked this
time) thieves had wrecked both side door locks. No matter that the
thieves had evidently forced the steering column lock and bypassed the
ignition switch and were evidently capable of forcing the door locks to
get into the vehicle if necessary: by the letter of their rules they
consider themselves not liable.

Insurance companies will be first up against the wall when the
revolution comes!

The last - and only - time we used removers I tipped them, only to find
as we unpacked that they'd tipped themselves already.

Um, er. Did you report the theft?

My word against theirs, no evidence: would Plod be interested?
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when John Stumbles
wrote:

Insurance companies will be first up against the wall when the
revolution comes!

Comrade, wait until I have despatched the "No-win, No-fee" touts and
social parasites first.

--
Smert' spamionam

Andrew Chesters

wrote:

Insurance companies will be first up against the wall when the
revolution comes!

Comrade, wait until I have despatched the "No-win, No-fee" touts and
social parasites first.

Sorry, but it will be wasps first! (Sorry Mary) THEN insurers, lawyers
and politicians...

plumber problem - what now? rck Home Repair 32 January 28th 05 06:48 AM
Overcharged by a plumber ? Al UK diy 39 December 7th 04 12:52 AM
Plumber Work - Quote coolneo Home Repair 9 October 20th 04 06:17 PM
Good Plumber or Bad Plumber? Robert Fenster Home Repair 14 June 2nd 04 07:01 AM
Ripped off by a plumber Pete UK diy 8 March 23rd 04 10:46 AM