mark b

Default Grit blasting indoors?

I've got some C.I fireplaces with a 100+ yrs of paint to strip. I've tried
chemical methods but end up with only about 90% success at getting them
clean. The old paint in the crevices seems to be immune to paint stripper.
Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?
If this is a totally ridiculous idea I'm sure someone will let me know. : -)

Thanks

mark b

Cicero

"mark b" wrote in message
I've got some C.I fireplaces with a 100+ yrs of paint to strip. I've tried
chemical methods but end up with only about 90% success at getting them
clean. The old paint in the crevices seems to be immune to paint stripper.
Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used

indoors?
If this is a totally ridiculous idea I'm sure someone will let me know.

: -)

Thanks

mark b

==============
It's not ridiculous but it is probably very messy. Look he
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000510003
Look around the Machine Mart site for another version.

Check the compressor requirements before you buy.

Cic.

John Anderton

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:43:04 -0000, "mark b"
wrote:

I've got some C.I fireplaces with a 100+ yrs of paint to strip. I've tried
chemical methods but end up with only about 90% success at getting them
clean. The old paint in the crevices seems to be immune to paint stripper.
Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?
If this is a totally ridiculous idea I'm sure someone will let me know. : -)

I had some success with a sort of circular fibrous pad thing that I
got from B&Q which fitted onto a drill. It seemed to do a reasonable
job but still made quite a mess,

Cheers,

John

Owain

"mark b" wrote
| Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that
| could be used indoors?
| If this is a totally ridiculous idea I'm sure someone
| will let me know. : -)

That's the sort of question where it helps to state if you're married or
not. It's a perfectly sensible idea if you're a bachelor :-)

Owain

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "mark b"
wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?

The small gritblaster that works is a "pressure pot". Forget the
cheap guns from Machine Mart - they work fine, but in such a tiny spot
it's unusably slow. I use a pot welded up from a small propane
cylinder, or you can buy them from the back of Practical Classics.

You'll also need a cabinet. Look at Machine Mart or Northern Tools for
ideas, then make your own. I use an old '50s fridge, the sort with a
"Michael Jackson" door lock handle to trap small children inside.

On the whole though, I wouldn't bother. Find someone local who does
grit blasting and take them over. It's a horrible job as a one-off.
Anna Kettle

wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?

Wire wool? Worked for me and much less messy

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Tim S

wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?

Wire wool? Worked for me and much less messy

Anna

No, no Anna. The *reason* blokes do DIY is so we can justify
(usually to SWMBO) buying a new tool from time to time.

;-O

Tim
Graeme Eldred

In message , mark b
writes
I've got some C.I fireplaces with a 100+ yrs of paint to strip. I've tried
chemical methods but end up with only about 90% success at getting them
clean. The old paint in the crevices seems to be immune to paint stripper.

I can't answer regarding the grit blasting, but do know *exactly* what
you mean about the paint in the crevices :-(

I did three CI Victorian fireplaces in a previous home, each of which
was covered in about a hundred year's worth of paint. The only way was
to completely empty the room, remove the worst of the paint with
Nitromors, then attack the small detail with a wire wheel in an electric
drill. Worked very well, but there was paint, Nitromors and spikes from
the wire wheel everywhere. Goggles and a mask are compulsory, so also
old clothing. Being a bachelor at the time helped, too :-)

When completely clean, I painted Zebo over the whole thing, using a one
inch paint brush (to get into the details), then buffed with a soft shoe
brush, finishing with a duster. Looked absolutely wonderful, and still
remains my favourite 'DIY' accomplishment.
--
Graeme
Cicero

wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used

indoors?

The small gritblaster that works is a "pressure pot". Forget the
cheap guns from Machine Mart - they work fine, but in such a tiny spot
it's unusably slow. I use a pot welded up from a small propane
cylinder, or you can buy them from the back of Practical Classics.

You'll also need a cabinet. Look at Machine Mart or Northern Tools for
ideas, then make your own. I use an old '50s fridge, the sort with a
"Michael Jackson" door lock handle to trap small children inside.

On the whole though, I wouldn't bother. Find someone local who does
grit blasting and take them over. It's a horrible job as a one-off.

================
I assumed that the OP was trying to remove the last traces of paint from his
fireplaces (having done major paint removal by conventional methods) and
that the fireplaces were still 'in situ' - hence the need for a grit blaster
for indoor use. If this is the case then the Machine Mart guns are quite
suitable for this particular job.

Nonetheless I find your idea of a large home-made pot quite interesting.
What kind of gun / grit do you use and what size compressor? I ask because I
recently went to buy one of the Machine Mart guns and was advised by a
member of staff that the pressure / CFM figures quoted in their catalogue
were misleading. It appears that they have now revised the figures in the
latest online catalogue. I'll pick up a copy of 'Practical Classics' if I
see one as I really do need to do some large scale grit blasting.

Cic.

Tim S

wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?

The small gritblaster that works is a "pressure pot". Forget the
cheap guns from Machine Mart - they work fine, but in such a tiny spot
it's unusably slow. I use a pot welded up from a small propane
cylinder, or you can buy them from the back of Practical Classics.

You'll also need a cabinet. Look at Machine Mart or Northern Tools for
ideas, then make your own. I use an old '50s fridge, the sort with a
"Michael Jackson" door lock handle to trap small children inside.

On the whole though, I wouldn't bother. Find someone local who does
grit blasting and take them over. It's a horrible job as a one-off.

I agree that the lightweight "Machine Mart" style blasters are slow - I
tried one on a Landrover chassis. Died of boredom and used a wire brush in
an angle grinder.

However, here, it might be suitable. What might be well worth considering
is making a sand-blasting cabinet around the work area - use some light
timber or broomsticks and duct tape, some clear plastic and lots of
masking tape to seal the fireplace into the sheeted enclosure. Have a
couple of holes in the plastic so you can work from outside.

One big advantage is that you will be able to recover and reuse much of
the grit

Just an idea.

Tim

Lobster

wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?

Wire wool? Worked for me and much less messy

I used that too, coupled with paintstripper. Also used a heat gun
beforehand, to lose most of the the bulk of the paint layers; especially
on the flatter areas. The combo worked eventually!

David
The Natural Philosopher

mark b wrote:

I've got some C.I fireplaces with a 100+ yrs of paint to strip. I've tried
chemical methods but end up with only about 90% success at getting them
clean. The old paint in the crevices seems to be immune to paint stripper.
Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used indoors?
If this is a totally ridiculous idea I'm sure someone will let me know. : -)

Thanks

mark b

Ive had teh big ones indoors.

Usng calcium carbonate.

Dust gets everywehere, but they sure work.
Holly, in France

Cicero wrote in message news:3UeVd.26692
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

snip..... I use a pot welded up from a small propane
cylinder, or you can buy them from the back of Practical Classics.

..
Nonetheless I find your idea of a large home-made pot quite
interesting. What kind of gun / grit do you use and what size
compressor? I ask because I recently went to buy one of the
Machine Mart guns and was advised by a
member of staff that the pressure / CFM figures quoted
in their catalogue were misleading. It appears that they have
now revised the figures in the latest online catalogue.
I'll pick up a copy of 'Practical Classics' if I
see one as I really do need to do some large scale grit blasting.

We have two home made pots, one small one made, like Andy's, from a
propane cylinder, and a larger one made from an LPG cylinder from an old
car. We use sandblasting nozzles on the end of flexible pipe and run it
off a road compressor, can't remember the CFM figures offhand. This set
up is mainly for large-scale blasting of walls and timber, something
smaller would be better for smaller jobs but it is all we have so we use
it for everything. We don't have a cabinet, we occasionally do small
bits outside in the open but then again we have never lived anywhere
with any near neighbours :-) Depending on what you mean by large-scale
you might also need a helmet, preferably one with a separate air supply
if you are working in enclosed areas. Even with that it is still a
horrible job. In Ireland we sometimes used the black stuff, aluminium
oxide???? but in France we use sand and recycle it sometimes, depending
on its condition after the first use. Sorry that's all a bit vague, hope
it is of some use.

We have an old fire extinguisher here, I'm just wondering if a good use
for it might be to make a small pot which would run off the garage
compressor.....

--

Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,

Cicero

.
[...]

Thanks for this information which gives me some ideas for building my own
grit blaster. I've also found some information in a back issue of
'Practical Classics' as advised by another poster. The Web page is:
www.blastitclean.com They appear to sell enough bits and pieces to make the
whole project feasible.

Cic.

Holly, in France

Cicero wrote in message

The Web page is:
www.blastitclean.com They appear to sell enough bits and pieces
to make the whole project feasible.

Indeed they do, and whilst I have no idea of current UK prices, their
prices look good compared to what we paid in Ireland a few years ago.

Anyone know whether the tungsten nozzles are really worth buying? We
only have older ceramic ones. Most of what we do doesn't need to be very
accurate and a big compressor compensates for a worn nozzle, but it
might be useful to know for future reference.
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Holly, in France

Andy Dingley wrote in message
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Holly, in France"
wrote:

Anyone know whether the tungsten nozzles are really worth buying? We
only have older ceramic ones.

Plain steel tube works just as well. Of course it wears out faster,
but then we're not talking about long usage here.

I think that would depend on the diameter of the air line pipe and the
power of the compressor. Since we use a big compressor with a heavy
pipe, it would just blast out too much sand much too quickly without a
tapered nozzle. Much too much sand in fact :-)

Completely OT, but does anyone else find that a word used alot, like
much in this case, suddenly seems odd? Same thing happened to me with
shrub the other day. Or is it just me?! :-)

The propane cylinder blaster I use was mde from a cylinder,
plumbing parts, thick
rubber hose and workshop scrap - no "grit blaster" parts at all.

We really made only the pots. We scrounged bits of leftover hose but
bought the clunk click turn type of connectors which go onto the
compressor and join bits of hose to allow for different hose lengths,
and put the same type of connector onto the pot. Easier to take to bits
and put together again for transport when working on site. Also
scrounged old worn nozzles and bought a couple of finer ones. We bought
a water separator, which was invaluable in Ireland using recycled sand,
but isn't necessary here where dried sand is available more cheaply and
doesn't get damp if sieved and re-used quickly.The air might be dryer
here too. Wouldn't bother buying one now to start off with, but would
get one if water caused a problem. Also the helmet, which has been vital
for some of our jobs, but I see from another posting that you have a DIY
version.

It's worth swapping nozzles around a bit to vary diameter.
Sandblasting is thirsty work for air and few of us have compressors
really up to the job. If the lower velocity is still adequate, a
bigger nozzle will give you more, slower, grit for the same air
consumption.

Yes, can see how that would work.