OG

Default Kahrs flooring

We're looking at putting down a Kahrs wood flooring in our lounge. We've
found a stockist that can offer the Oak Cambridge in their 'Life' range
at a good price; but they also have another called Oak Nice No1, that
doesn't seem to be in the current catalogue even cheaper. Both are 15mm
and seem to be sandable 'four or five times' according to a bloke in a
shop.

Before we call the stockist, does anyone know what the difference is
between these two - and any hints and tips before we put our money
down?

Owen

Bob Mannix

"OG" wrote in message
We're looking at putting down a Kahrs wood flooring in our lounge. We've
found a stockist that can offer the Oak Cambridge in their 'Life' range
at a good price; but they also have another called Oak Nice No1, that
doesn't seem to be in the current catalogue even cheaper. Both are 15mm
and seem to be sandable 'four or five times' according to a bloke in a
shop.

Before we call the stockist, does anyone know what the difference is
between these two - and any hints and tips before we put our money
down?

Not sure about these two particular ones but it may be the cheaper one is
slightly lower quality. We have a Kahrs floor (Oak Copenhagen). In places
where the surface isn't perfectly flat they fill with something before
sealing. There may be more of these in the cheaper one. After ours was laid
we noticed some of these areas that looked crap and called them back in.
They relaid half the floor, removing the offending items (which should have
been rejected in the first place - they had people off ill and too much work
etc). We are very pleased with it.

I removed all the skirting boards and fitted new afterwards. To paint the
skirting, I slid lining paper under the skirting (the floor gives a bit if
you press down), painted down to the paper, let it dry, broke the paint seal
where it met the paper with a screwdriver, removed the paper and cleaned up
the edge with an old toothbrush. This gave a near perfect finish.

--
Bob Mannix

quisquiliae

OG wrote:
We're looking at putting down a Kahrs wood flooring in our lounge. We've
found a stockist that can offer the Oak Cambridge in their 'Life' range
at a good price; but they also have another called Oak Nice No1, that
doesn't seem to be in the current catalogue even cheaper. Both are 15mm
and seem to be sandable 'four or five times' according to a bloke in a
shop.

Before we call the stockist, does anyone know what the difference is
between these two - and any hints and tips before we put our money
down?

The uncatalogued varieties are 'seconds'. You will pay less but have to
throw away more bad bits (filled knots, colour variations etc). If the
area to be covered includes lots of invisible bits (under furniture etc)
then it may be a good buy, OTOH if you get the floor down and then find
yourself looking at a very odd plank in the middle of the room...

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
The Natural Philosopher

quisquiliae wrote:

OG wrote:

[...]

Ah. I bought all my kahrs online to get best price. You will need the
foamy underlay.

Ah. http://www.woodenflooring.co.uk/prod...875&type=&cat=

28 quid a square meter.

Its good stuff, but watch out for stains getting in the edges.

We had London Oak and it came white. but a year in daylight turned it
yellwish - more what we wanted anyway.

Do allow exapsnion edges - we fitted oak skirts over the top.