Gaz

Default RF Cylinder Thermostat

Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who sells
them?

Does anyone else make a rf cylinder stat (to avoid the wiring) - or anyone
know of an online retailer for the item?

thanks

Richard

"Gaz" wrote in message
Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who

sells
them?

Does anyone else make a rf cylinder stat (to avoid the wiring) - or anyone
know of an online retailer for the item?

thanks

A bit OT but I wish such a gadget had been available when I had Cylinder
stat problems a while back. Having unplugged the stat at the boiler end I
removed it from the cylinder and then managed to drop it. Leaning into the
airing cupboard with a steadying hand on one of the copper supply pipes I
picked up the stat with the other hand. The pain of the shock was intense as
was the surprise. It seemed to take an awful long time to overcome the
muscle contractions to release my grip!
Lessons learned 1. Never rely on someone's labelling 2 .Always switch off
the mains supply when working on mains equipment in situ.

Richard.

tony sayer

In article , Richard hawkinsfamily3
@DIGITbtinternet.com writes

"Gaz" wrote in message
[...]

And make sure that ALL the mains in the house is RCD protected!...
--
Tony Sayer

Christian McArdle

And make sure that ALL the mains in the house is RCD protected!...

With lots of exceptions, of course!

When you do get a shock, would you really want the lights to go out? Far
more people are killed by fires when they can't see to escape than are
electrocuted.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:21:27 GMT, "Gaz" wrote:

Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who sells
them?

Does anyone else make a rf cylinder stat (to avoid the wiring) - or anyone
know of an online retailer for the item?

thanks

Try Climate Center. These are one of the Wolseley companies like
Plumbcenter etc. www.climatecenter.co.uk

They have branches but will take orders over the phone and ship.
they have a whole load of Danfoss stuff and I am sure could order one
of these

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Richard

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
And make sure that ALL the mains in the house is RCD protected!...

With lots of exceptions, of course!

When you do get a shock, would you really want the lights to go out? Far
more people are killed by fires when they can't see to escape than are
electrocuted.

Christian.

Well I must admit for a few seconds I really thought my light was going to
go out !

RCD or no RCD there is no safety better than hearing the satisfying clunk
when throwing the main circuit breaker.

Richard. ( shaken but still stirring)

Christian McArdle

Well I must admit for a few seconds I really thought my light was going to
go out !

Many people manage to touch 230V mains. Vanishingly few are seriously
injured by it. It's probably most likely to kill you if you are (a) unlucky,
(b) old or infirm or (c) up a ladder.

RCD or no RCD there is no safety better than hearing the satisfying clunk
when throwing the main circuit breaker.

Oh yes. I always do work with the main DP isolator off. I don't rely on an
SP MCB to do the job. Except once (never again), when I illadvisedly left
the power on so that my wife could complete some task. I then forgot about
it, and rewired a live light fitting up a ladder. Luckily, my standard
technique is to be so paranoid about shocks that I never touch the live
anyway, so it was only after I had finished and put the bulb in that I
realised that the power was still on!

Christian.

G&M

"Gaz" wrote in message
Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who

sells
them?

You may have difficulties using these. The tank and plumbing absorb an
awful lot of the r.f. transmitter energy so placing the receiver to work
reliably can be a nightmare.

Richard

[...]

Please don't dismiss the dangers of a 230 V mains shock so lightly. A brief
touch or brushing contact is quite survivable in most cases. However the
event I described was far more serious. In the hot and sweaty environment of
an airing cupboard with moist hands, one holding tightly to an earthed
copper pipe and the other in an involuntary tightened grip round a live
thermostat is a different kettle of fish entirely. The effort of will to
gather the strength to let go was nearly overwhelming. Don't go there it is
not pleasant.

Richard.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:42:54 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

"Gaz" wrote in message
Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who

sells
them?

You may have difficulties using these. The tank and plumbing absorb an
awful lot of the r.f. transmitter energy so placing the receiver to work
reliably can be a nightmare.

There is an alternative product, the WP75-RF, which is a programmer
for the hot water as well. This one has a remote sensor which you
fit to the cylinder and then mount the main unit a little way away in
the airing cupboard.

This would avoid most of the influence of the cylinder.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Christian McArdle

Please don't dismiss the dangers of a 230 V mains shock so lightly.

What I meant was that the chances of death from electrocution are low enough
to be dwarfed by the chances of death from failure to find the exit in a
fire. Therefore, the statement that RCDs should be used to protect the
entire house is not the safest method. It is safer not to protect the
lighting circuit.

Christian.

Pete C

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:51:27 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
wrote:

Well I must admit for a few seconds I really thought my light was going to
go out !

RCD or no RCD there is no safety better than hearing the satisfying clunk
when throwing the main circuit breaker.

Hi,

A neon screwdriver is useful in these situations, even if used to
unscrew the supposedly dead terminals.

cheers,
Pete.
Lurch

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:45:43 +0100, Pete C
strung together this:

A neon screwdriver is useful in these situations,

A neon screwdriver is never useful.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Bob Mannix

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:45:43 +0100, Pete C
strung together this:

A neon screwdriver is useful in these situations,

A neon screwdriver is never useful.

Oh I think it is sometimes. The problem is you can't always tell when it's
being useful and when it isn't. If it lights up, it's being useful. If it
doesn't... well, who knows.

My favourites were the older types where they would come to bits (they don't
now) and you could replace those strange bits and pieces inside with, well,
anything you liked really!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Lurch

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:20:16 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
strung together this:

A neon screwdriver is never useful.

Oh I think it is sometimes. The problem is you can't always tell when it's
being useful and when it isn't. If it lights up, it's being useful. If it
doesn't... well, who knows.

And also when it's illuminated but not actually in contact with any
thing live.
As a general rule;
Neon on = Live, or possibly not, it depends.
Neon off = Not live, or possibly it is, who knows?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

tony sayer

In article , Christian
McArdle writes
And make sure that ALL the mains in the house is RCD protected!...

With lots of exceptions, of course!

When you do get a shock, would you really want the lights to go out? Far
more people are killed by fires when they can't see to escape than are
electrocuted.

Christian.

Quite frankly I'd MUCH prefer the house lights to go out rather than my
lights!.

If you'd had the same experience as I once had you wouldn't even be
arguing the point!....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , Lurch theoriginallurch@
tiscali.co.uk writes
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:45:43 +0100, Pete C
strung together this:

A neon screwdriver is useful in these situations,

A neon screwdriver is never useful.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

No because like the original poster I didn't know quite what was lurking
behind my bloody airing cupboard either!....
--
Tony Sayer

Lurch

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:42 +0100, Pete C
strung together this:

A neon screwdriver is never useful.

Maybe... I can see how it would give a false positive but not a false
negative. I'd agree that it's much better to test connections with a
lamp before starting work.

Erm, because they're crap and don't work they could give a false
anything. Don't use them, they're worse than useless.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Stuart

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:21:27 GMT, "Gaz" wrote:

Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who sells
them?

Does anyone else make a rf cylinder stat (to avoid the wiring) - or anyone
know of an online retailer for the item?

thanks

Whats RF ??
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Richard wrote:
A bit OT but I wish such a gadget had been available when I had
Cylinder stat problems a while back. Having unplugged the stat at the
boiler end I removed it from the cylinder and then managed to drop it.
Leaning into the airing cupboard with a steadying hand on one of the
copper supply pipes I picked up the stat with the other hand. The pain
of the shock was intense as was the surprise. It seemed to take an awful
long time to overcome the muscle contractions to release my grip!

An RF 'stat doesn't get rid of the mains 'problem' - simply moves it to a
different location.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
Whats RF ??

Wireless. Like a wireless doorbell. Only hopefully quieter. And more
reliable. If only.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:22:49 +0100, Stuart wrote:

Whats RF ??

Radio Frequency or in more descriptive terms when applied to
appliances "wireless", "cordless" etc

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Set Square

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:21:27 GMT, "Gaz" wrote:

Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer
who sells them?

Does anyone else make a rf cylinder stat (to avoid the wiring) - or
anyone know of an online retailer for the item?

thanks

Have a word with RKM Heating Controls at
http://www.rkm-heating-controls.co.uk/shop/index.html
Although I can't this particular item listed on their website, they're sure
to be able to get it for you.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Hall

wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:21:27 GMT, "Gaz" wrote:

Can anyone help me find a RF Cylinder Thermostat.

I have found a danfoss model (CET B-RF) but I cant find a retailer who sells
them?

Does anyone else make a rf cylinder stat (to avoid the wiring) - or anyone
know of an online retailer for the item?

thanks

Whats RF ??

Radio frequency...... aka wireless

Stuart

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 11:02 AM
URGENT Leaking hot water cylinder (pressurised) HELP RJ UK diy 43 February 22nd 04 12:23 PM
Hot Water Cylinder Chris UK diy 1 November 3rd 03 07:00 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 05:23 PM
Unvented cylinder safety Christian McArdle UK diy 1 September 5th 03 10:57 PM