Sealant for external walls

Old February 26th 05, 12:13 PM
Simon Hawthorne

Default Sealant for external walls

Hi

I'm told there is some sort of sealant I can paint on external walls
that will help repel water, and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

I can't find anything on the internet - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Old February 26th 05, 01:31 PM
Andrew Chesters

Steve wrote:
"Simon Hawthorne" wrote in message

Hi

I'm told there is some sort of sealant I can paint on external walls
that will help repel water, and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

I can't find anything on the internet - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Simon,
You should be able to buy something like Thompsons Damp Seal liquid from
most DIY sheds.

Easy to apply with a creosote/fence brush - donot try using a standard paint
brush.

Cheers
Steve

But not until the wall is dry! If not, the only way for the moisture
already in the bricks to go, is in.

Andrew
Old February 26th 05, 01:33 PM
[email protected]

Simon Hawthorne wrote:
Hi

I'm told there is some sort of sealant I can paint on external walls
that will help repel water, and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

I can't find anything on the internet - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Simon

On a lot of walls this is a bad idea, and in fact makes things worse.

If you have a problem with damp, the solution is normally to fix the
cause of the damp.

NT

Old February 26th 05, 01:37 PM
Stuart Noble

"Simon Hawthorne" wrote in message
Hi

I'm told there is some sort of sealant I can paint on external walls
that will help repel water, and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

I can't find anything on the internet - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Thomsons Waterseal if you want a clear coating. Onle effective on bare brick
or masonry where it can penetrate freely, and, boy does it penetrate. Best
done in the summer when the wall is bone dry. Think in terms of 10 or 20
litres rather than retail sizes. www.sovchem.co.uk
Use a solvent based masonry paint like Johnstones Stormguard if the walls
are already painted.

Old February 26th 05, 04:01 PM
Dave Jones

"Simon Hawthorne" wrote in message
Hi

I'm told there is some sort of sealant I can paint on external walls
that will help repel water, and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

I can't find anything on the internet - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Simon

This stuff does the job, used it a few times.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...50 5&id=19648

Old February 26th 05, 09:11 PM
basil

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:42:23 +0000, Simon Hawthorne
wrote:

On 26 Feb 2005 05:33:44 -0800, wrote:

and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

Maybe I wasn't clear here guys - I don't have damp in these walls

Whats the problem you are trying to fix?
Old February 26th 05, 11:34 PM
[email protected]

Simon Hawthorne wrote:
On 26 Feb 2005 05:33:44 -0800, wrote:

and hopefully prevent damp getting into
the walls.

Maybe I wasn't clear here guys - I don't have damp in these walls -
but I can't stretch to having the full render treatment - so was

after
something I could do myself to protect the walls.

Thanks

OK this makes things a bit clearer. Some qs:

why do you want to render the walls? Or do you maen something else by
'render treatment'?
what are the walls made of, how old, and in what condition?
what problem are you trying to solve?

NT

Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 09:57 AM
Best possible insulation for 2x4 walls? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 4 January 24th 04 11:40 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 10:03 AM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM