Martyn Pollard

Default extending an embankment

I need to extend a garden by about 10ft, which currently drops down a
steep embankment to a lower level 12ft below. The width of the garden
is about 20ft.

I could just dump tons of rubble down there, but then I will end up
with a slope. I wanted to construct something which would retain the
rubble to create a steeper drop.

An initial idea was to create a retaining wall by stacking 'grab-bags'
which contained a dry mix of aggregate. I would do the mixing and

Building a retaining wall with bricks would be another idea, but I
think it would work out more expensive in terms of materials and
labour.

Any other suggestions?

Andrew Chesters

Martyn Pollard wrote:
I need to extend a garden by about 10ft, which currently drops down a
steep embankment to a lower level 12ft below. The width of the garden
is about 20ft.

I could just dump tons of rubble down there, but then I will end up
with a slope. I wanted to construct something which would retain the
rubble to create a steeper drop.

An initial idea was to create a retaining wall by stacking 'grab-bags'
which contained a dry mix of aggregate. I would do the mixing and

Building a retaining wall with bricks would be another idea, but I
think it would work out more expensive in terms of materials and
labour.

Any other suggestions?

There's a name for nets containing largish stones that eludes me at the
moment. You may have seen them on motorway embankments. Possibly
expensive, but an idea non the less...
Tony Bryer

In article , Andrew Chesters wrote:
There's a name for nets containing largish stones that eludes me at the
moment.

Gabions

http://sbe.napier.ac.uk/projects/ret...lp/gabions.htm

Mary Fisher

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

There's a name for nets containing largish stones that eludes me at the
moment.

Gabions

http://sbe.napier.ac.uk/projects/ret...lp/gabions.htm

What a fascinating site, thank you!

Mary

Martyn Pollard

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , Andrew Chesters wrote:
There's a name for nets containing largish stones that eludes me at

the
moment.

Gabions

http://sbe.napier.ac.uk/projects/ret...lp/gabions.htm

Thats excellent information. So I can either buy the ready made units
or perhaps DIY some up using square section wire fencing. It seems the
key point is to build gabion wall pitched back at an angle.

Rick

On 20 Feb 2005 13:49:19 -0800, "Martyn Pollard"
wrote:

I need to extend a garden by about 10ft, which currently drops down a
steep embankment to a lower level 12ft below. The width of the garden
is about 20ft.

I could just dump tons of rubble down there, but then I will end up
with a slope. I wanted to construct something which would retain the
rubble to create a steeper drop.

An initial idea was to create a retaining wall by stacking 'grab-bags'
which contained a dry mix of aggregate. I would do the mixing and

Building a retaining wall with bricks would be another idea, but I
think it would work out more expensive in terms of materials and
labour.

Any other suggestions?

I have a 1.8m retaining wall, thats part of my house, its not too
expensive

Breifly

1.2 m wide 0.3 m thick foundation with 2 steel mesh, and 12mm upright
bars, then 2 thickness of 7N blocks with the middle filled with
reinforced concrete.

I did this as a DIY project.

A strutrial engineer will design one for your site for a hudred quid
or so.

I'd guess at 2 grand total cost, assuming you DIY most of it, and site
access is good.

You could use gabions, steel cages filled with rocks. In anycase I'd
talk with an engineer. if this lot moves, you will be in deep donkey
doo-dah

Rick

Paul Mc Cann

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
wrote:

[...]

You will have to make provision for drainage. Water retained behind
something like this can be very destructive. The gabions may be self
draining but I would let some other expert declaim on this. If a solid
wall is used then drainige pipes incorporated along the base may be the
way to go. Consult an engineer.
--
Paul Mc Cann

Extending Wires N. Thornton UK diy 0 December 20th 04 12:41 PM
Extending a joist Dave UK diy 13 December 14th 04 04:34 PM
Extending a two core power cable with a figure 8 connector [email protected] UK diy 13 November 28th 04 04:37 PM
Moving consumer unit - extending cables (again!) Grunff UK diy 24 May 5th 04 11:07 PM
extending a ring main Paul Draper UK diy 7 July 4th 03 08:43 PM