JBG

Default Bathroom light circuit dead.

A bulb blew in the bathroom light last week, and after resetting the
breaker and replacing the bulb, all the other lights on the circuit
still work, but the bathroom light does not.

I have purchased a new light, thinking that it was the light fixture
that must have been broken, but to no avail.

I wondered whether any kind souls out there would take a look at this
mickey-mouse wiring diagram of the current fixture and tell me if
something looks suspect, and how to diagnose/fix the problem? Bit hard
to shave at 6am without a light! It has a dimmer switch on it, but when
turned on - nothing happens.

http://nickmyers.co.uk/Wiring.gif

I have very little experience of electrical matters any how, but can
usually work things out.

Many thanks,
JBG
Andrew Chesters

JBG wrote:
A bulb blew in the bathroom light last week, and after resetting the
breaker and replacing the bulb, all the other lights on the circuit
still work, but the bathroom light does not.

I have purchased a new light, thinking that it was the light fixture
that must have been broken, but to no avail.

I wondered whether any kind souls out there would take a look at this
mickey-mouse wiring diagram of the current fixture and tell me if
something looks suspect, and how to diagnose/fix the problem? Bit hard
to shave at 6am without a light! It has a dimmer switch on it, but when
turned on - nothing happens.

http://nickmyers.co.uk/Wiring.gif

I have very little experience of electrical matters any how, but can
usually work things out.

Many thanks,
JBG

Shall we start with the brown wire connected to the neutral terminal?
That in itself wouldn't stop the light working unless perhaps it is an
electronic transformer for low voltage lamps.

Where does wire 2 go? Do you have a two-way switch?

Andrew
JBG

Andrew Chesters wrote:
JBG wrote:

[...]

Brown and blue wires just go into opposite side of a plastic
bulb-holding fixture that the bulb screws into. Not sure what you mean
by two-way switch - there is only one switch for this light?

Thanks,
JBG
JBG

Shall we start with the brown wire connected to the neutral terminal?
That in itself wouldn't stop the light working unless perhaps it is an
electronic transformer for low voltage lamps.

Where does wire 2 go? Do you have a two-way switch?

Andrew

Brown and blue wires just go into opposite side of a plastic
bulb-holding fixture that the bulb screws into. Not sure what you mean
by two-way switch - there is only one switch for this light?

Thanks,
JBG

That said - there is an unused switch high-up the wall for an extractor
fan which must have been removed before I moved in. I've tried
switching it on and off and using the light - but nothing happens.
Perhaps that's where wire 2 goes?

Cheers,
JBG
Andy Wade

JBG wrote:

A bulb blew in the bathroom light last week, and after resetting the
breaker and replacing the bulb, all the other lights on the circuit
still work, but the bathroom light does not.

I have purchased a new light, thinking that it was the light fixture
that must have been broken, but to no avail.

I wondered whether any kind souls out there would take a look at this
mickey-mouse wiring diagram of the current fixture and tell me if
something looks suspect, and how to diagnose/fix the problem? Bit hard
to shave at 6am without a light! It has a dimmer switch on it, but when
turned on - nothing happens.

Replace the fuse in the dimmer switch if it has one, otherwise replace
the whole switch. (To test this hypothesis, remove the switch and
temporarily connect the two wires together with a choc-block terminal.
Turn the power back on and if the light comes on the trouble definitely
lies in the switch.)

http://nickmyers.co.uk/Wiring.gif

Nice diagram: cables 1 and 3 are the supply-in and loop-out to/from the
rest of the lighting circuit, 2 goes to the switch and 4 to a bathroom
fan. BTW the brown and blue on terminals A and H are the wrong way
round, although the neutral and live labels are correct.

--
Andy

JBG

Andy Wade wrote:
JBG wrote:

[...]

Thanks Andy - I'll give that a shot. Figured it was worth putting the
effort into drawing that picture before asking everyone to guess what
the problem was! I'll swap the cables over too, just in case I ever go
back to this fitting...
Bill

In message , JBG
writes
A bulb blew in the bathroom light last week, and after resetting the
breaker and replacing the bulb, all the other lights on the circuit
still work, but the bathroom light does not.

I have purchased a new light, thinking that it was the light fixture
that must have been broken, but to no avail.

I wondered whether any kind souls out there would take a look at this
mickey-mouse wiring diagram of the current fixture and tell me if
something looks suspect, and how to diagnose/fix the problem? Bit hard
to shave at 6am without a light! It has a dimmer switch on it, but
when turned on - nothing happens.

http://nickmyers.co.uk/Wiring.gif

I have very little experience of electrical matters any how, but can
usually work things out.

Many thanks,
JBG

I would suggest that wire 4 goes to the extractor fan switch that you
mention elsewhere as the fan would need live, neutral and switched live.
Wires 1 and 3 appear to be supply and 2 goes to your light switch.

You say that there is a dimmer switch, these often have a fuse in them
so it may be worth a look, turn the breaker off first though.

The brown and blue wires going to live and neutral should really be the
other way around, blue-neutral and brown-live although this would not
stop the light working it could be a bit confusing.

Great graphics by the way.
--
Bill
JBG

Replace the fuse in the dimmer switch if it has one, otherwise replace
the whole switch. (To test this hypothesis, remove the switch and
temporarily connect the two wires together with a choc-block terminal.
Turn the power back on and if the light comes on the trouble definitely
lies in the switch.)

http://nickmyers.co.uk/Wiring.gif

Nice diagram: cables 1 and 3 are the supply-in and loop-out to/from the
rest of the lighting circuit, 2 goes to the switch and 4 to a bathroom
fan. BTW the brown and blue on terminals A and H are the wrong way
round, although the neutral and live labels are correct.

Thanks Andy - the hypothesis test works (wish I hadn't bought a new lamp
now, but it's nice so might as well fit it!) so I'll have to buy a
replacement switch, the fuse must be sealed inside the plastic box on
the back of the switch...

Thanks for all your help guys - pays to ask the experts!

Best regards,
JBG
Lobster

JBG wrote:
[...]

The clear picture really helps - wish I had a pound for every post here
which starts off "...so I disconnected the ceiling rose and now there's
all these different wires hanging down so how do I work out how to
reconnect them....
troubleinstore

"JBG" wrote in message
A bulb blew in the bathroom light last week, and after resetting the
breaker and replacing the bulb, all the other lights on the circuit
still work, but the bathroom light does not.

I have purchased a new light, thinking that it was the light fixture
that must have been broken, but to no avail.

I wondered whether any kind souls out there would take a look at this
mickey-mouse wiring diagram of the current fixture and tell me if
something looks suspect, and how to diagnose/fix the problem? Bit hard
to shave at 6am without a light! It has a dimmer switch on it, but when
turned on - nothing happens.

http://nickmyers.co.uk/Wiring.gif

I have very little experience of electrical matters any how, but can
usually work things out.

Many thanks,
JBG

Perhaps it's your new bulb that doesn't work