Charlie

Default Leather sofa - extra cash for treatment?

Hi all,

We're about to order a leather sofa from Sofa Workshop. They have
suggested we pay an extra £165 for some kind of 'leather protection
plan' which as I understand it involves some kind of chemical
treatment at the factory and a guarantee.

Has anyone had this done (either here or at another supplier) and is
it worth the money? The sofa is not cheap so we're hoping it will last
a good many years....

Charlie
Christian McArdle

We're about to order a leather sofa from Sofa Workshop. They have
suggested we pay an extra £165 for some kind of 'leather protection
plan' which as I understand it involves some kind of chemical
treatment at the factory and a guarantee.

I didn't bother myself. Quality leather lasts so much longer than fabric,
anyway.

Christian.

John Laird

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:09:45 +0100, Charlie
wrote:

We're about to order a leather sofa from Sofa Workshop. They have
suggested we pay an extra £165 for some kind of 'leather protection
plan' which as I understand it involves some kind of chemical
treatment at the factory and a guarantee.

Has anyone had this done (either here or at another supplier) and is
it worth the money? The sofa is not cheap so we're hoping it will last
a good many years....

Sounds like it might be a combination of a Scotchguard-like treatment and an
all-risks guarantee (the two not necessarily being linked together). I
think I may have paid £100 on mine - not usually easily persuaded by these
things but with the suite being a light colour and fairly fine leather
decided it probably wasn't a bad buy in case one of the kids managed to do
some serious damage. The cleaning instructions on mine suggest just a mild
solution of pure soap flakes and *no* hide or leather food or the like -
perhaps this is related to the treatment (which should be done during
tanning, not after, iirc.)

--
Never argue with a fool - people might not know the difference.

Mail john rather than nospam...