Lawrence Milbourn

Default Soap Dispenser Drawer Mould?

Yesterday my wife took out the soap dispenser drawer in our Hotpoint washing
machine and was horrified to see black mould-like yuck growing down from the
water inlets. It's been scrubbed but there are still signs of it.

1) Is it mould?
2) What's the best way of getting rid of it?
3) How do I stop it from coming back?

Thanks,

Lawrence

David M

Vera wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:42:17 -0000, "Lawrence Milbourn"
wrote:

Yesterday my wife took out the soap dispenser drawer in our Hotpoint washing
machine and was horrified to see black mould-like yuck growing down from the
water inlets. It's been scrubbed but there are still signs of it.

1) Is it mould?
2) What's the best way of getting rid of it?
3) How do I stop it from coming back?

I always get that if I leave the soap dispenser for more than a week
or two without cleaning it. I assumed they all did it.

Hot water, fairy liquid, a scrubbing brush and a toothbrush
(preferably one kept only for cleaning...) is what I use. Regularly.

the toothbrush reference reminds me of a story from one of my wifes
friends... her teenage son was meticulous about cleaning his braces every
night, and apparently after arriving home after a night out decided to clean
them at the kitchen sink with the toothbrush that was sitting there..
unfortunately this was the one his mother saved for all the wee cleaning
jobs, (a few of them being in the bathroom as well apparently)... She just
didn't have the heart to tell him about this after she found out he had used it.

cheers

David

Ian_m

"Lawrence Milbourn" wrote in message
Yesterday my wife took out the soap dispenser drawer in our Hotpoint
washing machine and was horrified to see black mould-like yuck growing
down from the water inlets. It's been scrubbed but there are still signs
of it.

1) Is it mould?
2) What's the best way of getting rid of it?
3) How do I stop it from coming back?

Soft water stops it, since fitting a water softener the black mould growths
in washing machine and shower silcone have stopped. I assume is living using
the salts in hard water.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Ian_m" wrote:

Soft water stops it, since fitting a water softener the black mould growths
in washing machine and shower silcone have stopped. I assume is living using
the salts in hard water.

This is an interesting observation - I had a long discussion about it
with a local uni researcher who is seeking another IgNobel prize for
some research on kitchen filth and what grows in the sinks of
students.

The mould isn't living _on_ the dissolved salts, but the soap scum
that tends to accumulate with harder water provides a mechanical
substrate that allows the moulds not to be washed away in the initial
stages.

I find Milton works as a de-gunker and de-ponger for washing machines.
Hydrogen peroxide works even better, but it's a bit harsh on rubber
door seals for regular use.
[news]

Lawrence Milbourn wrote:
Yesterday my wife took out the soap dispenser drawer in our Hotpoint washing
machine and was horrified to see black mould-like yuck growing down from the
water inlets. It's been scrubbed but there are still signs of it.

1) Is it mould?

yes. it's probably a slime mould and we have it in the fabric softener section
of our washing machine. it's harmless as long as you don't eat it and will not
do any damage to your clothing. it does look a bit manky tho.

2) What's the best way of getting rid of it?

simple, use an industrial biocide in the fabric softener manufacturing process.
there is a chance that the mould has become resistant to whichever biocide
the manufacturers are using, it's happened before. or maybe they have a really
filthy manufacturing plant, that's also common.

3) How do I stop it from coming back?

dunno. mrs RT (Industrial Microbiologist) is going to get one of the lab bods
to grow some up and see exactly what it is. however, moulds can be extremely
difficult to identify. the growth process should take 3 to 5 days and a couple
of days to identify.

there is a high probability that the fabric softener is the substrate in which it's
living, which brand are you using ? we're using Lenor, bulk pack bought from
makro, but we've seen slime in the fabric softener drawer bit with other brands.

sadly, there is no indication on the label as to which biocide Lenor use, otherwise
mrs RT would be able to speculate more accurately. apparently, it does comply
with "test OECD 301B" a EC wide test for biodegradability. so now you know

I'll post the results of the grow next week. cleaning with a simple detergent is
probably the best way to clean the drawer, bleach is probably OTT :-)

hth

RT

Lawrence Milbourn

"[news]" wrote in message ...
Lawrence Milbourn wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the speedy reply. We're using Tesco's own brand at the moment
but have used other makes but have never seen the mould before.
Look forward to seeing the report from Mrs RT.

Lawrence

Tony Williams

In article ,
Vera wrote:

I don't use fabric softener (nasty stuff - ruins towels) and I
still get it...

We are in a soft water area, and the chlorine
they add sometimes make your eyes water. No
fabric softeners either, and still we get mould
underneath the soap drawer.

--
Tony Williams.
Pete C

wrote:

Yesterday my wife took out the soap dispenser drawer in our Hotpoint washing
machine and was horrified to see black mould-like yuck growing down from the
water inlets. It's been scrubbed but there are still signs of it.

1) Is it mould?
2) What's the best way of getting rid of it?

3) How do I stop it from coming back?

Hi,

Mould likes damp and still air, so try leaving the drawer and door
ajar when the machine is not in use.

cheers,
Pete.
Sue

In message , "[news]" writes
Lawrence Milbourn wrote:
Yesterday my wife took out the soap dispenser drawer in our Hotpoint washing
machine and was horrified to see black mould-like yuck growing down from the
water inlets. It's been scrubbed but there are still signs of it.

1) Is it mould?

yes. it's probably a slime mould and we have it in the fabric softener section
of our washing machine. it's harmless as long as you don't eat it and will not
do any damage to your clothing. it does look a bit manky tho.

Slime moulds are mobile, intelligent and really cool. Your washing
machine isn't a stimulating enough environment for them.

Probably the growth is Aspergillus niger, it's very common in damp
places indoors.
If you have a sanguine temperament, just wipe it off every now and then.
If you love health scares, google on the name and you'll find all sorts
of stuff it can cause but usually doesn't.

--
Sue ];(
RedOnRed

"Sue" wrote in message
In message , "[news]" writes
Lawrence Milbourn wrote:
[...]

We had the stuff on our old Bosch and it's just formed on our new Bosch.

Bosch advised us to use an anti bacterial cleaner on it. Which thinking
about it i'll carry out ASAP tomorrow.

Mike

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

We had the stuff on our old Bosch and it's just formed on our new Bosch.

Bosch advised us to use an anti bacterial cleaner on it. Which thinking
about it i'll carry out ASAP tomorrow.

What's that poor lifeform ever done to you. Do something useful and apply
the cleanser to John Prescott !