Junior Member

Default Vaillant combi boiler - pilot light keeps going out

Hi,

I've got a Vaillant VCW combi boiler. The pilot light on this has started to put itself out several times a day - what seems to happen is the gas coming on when the boiler fires up (e.g. when you turn on a hot tap or the heating) occasionally puts out the pilot. I have insurance cover whereby if the heating/hot water breaks my insurance company will send someone to repair it; however, when I spoke to them on the phone they said they'd only do this if I first wait until the pilot light *always* goes out when the boiler fires up. I therefore thought I'd check if it's likely to be anything obvious/easily sorted.

Have checked that the temperature the boiler's set to is appropriate for the (lousy) weather, and the only thing that looks slightly amiss is that the pressure is down to just over 0.5 bar - this is above the 0.5 bar recommended minimum, but only *just*...is it worth trying to raise the pressure and seeing if this helps matters? And can this be done by just turning a valve marked 'filling valve' to 'open', or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers,

Jon

Last edited by diaj : February 24th 05 at 03:08 PM
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:04:39 +0000, diaj wrote:

[...]

As for filling the boiler see the FAQ below.

The three most likely reasons for the pilot going out a
1) The boiler's over heating (or it's sensor thinks it is).
2) There is a poor flame on the thermocouple and a bit of draught causes
it to cool down a little too much.
3) The thermocouple is dying.

If you find that you can release the 'start' button within a few seconds
after lighting the pilot - i.e. you don't need to hold it in for the full
20s or so to light it ... then I think 2 or 3 are less likely.

The t/couple is a custom unit on these boilers around £10 instead of £4,
because they incorporate the connections to the Over-heat cut out.

vaillant combi boiler Tim Smith UK diy 9 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Issue Dave Clark UK diy 7 March 6th 04 02:02 AM
Vaillant Aquaplus storage combi boiler Ben Mack UK diy 2 January 20th 04 01:24 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM