Alan Greig

Default Hotpoint 9510 washing machine

I have an old Hotpoint 9510 which has been in the family since new.
Recently the motor has started to stall during any low speed operation.
Spin works every time and the machine will operate normally in all
modes for a few minutes if switched on from cold before the motor
starts humming and sticking. I replaced the brushes (badly worn) and
cleaned the armature contacts. Still doesn't work. The armature is
badly pitted (at the point of widest diameter - not at the brush
contact) so I suspect this.

Before I spend 30 quid on an apparently refurbished motor from a local
supplier is there anything else I should check. Only other thing I can
think of is that the timer/control module might have a dodgy relay and
only supply partial power during agitate. Is this a possibility on
Hotpoints or can I assume that if the motor has some power it has all
it should have?

--
Alan Greig

The Natural Philosopher

Alan Greig wrote:

[...]

If its really old, the commutator may have worn down more than teh
insulation betrween teh segments: This can cause the brushes to lift off.

Normally its new motor timne, or get the commutator re-skimmed, but old
skinflints sometimes scrape each groove out with a sharp tool and sand
the commutator burr free afterwards...
Peter

Alan Greig wrote:

[...]

You can buy a brand new armature cheaper than a recon motor with a skimmed
up commutator.

Peter

The Natural Philosopher

Peter wrote:

Alan Greig wrote:

[...]

Can you? I wasn't aware of that...are you sure its new and not skimmed
up itself? :-)

Alan Greig

A local dealer had offered to sell me a recon motor for =A330. I did a
search for a new armature and found one at =A337. By the way how do I
completely remove the armature?

I found this page http://www.sparesrus.co.uk/tech/gecarmature.htm
but fail to remove the armature at the instruction point below as it
seems to be still firmly attached to the other end of the frame.

" Remove the old armature
Hold the armature by the pulley and gently tap the end frame to
release then pull it clear of the motor"