Dermot O'Loughlin

Default Ceiling fan for new house - high ceiling

Hi All,

I am building a new house that has a living room with a high ceiling
(6 meters high). I am considering purchasing a ceiling fan to help
push hot air down from the ceiling. What I want to know is does it
matter how close to the ceiling I install the fan for this purpose? I
know that the fan should be about 7 feet above the ground if used for
summer cooling but for my requirements is this necessary?

Thanks,
Dermot.
Dave Jones

"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I am building a new house that has a living room with a high ceiling
(6 meters high). I am considering purchasing a ceiling fan to help
push hot air down from the ceiling. What I want to know is does it
matter how close to the ceiling I install the fan for this purpose? I
know that the fan should be about 7 feet above the ground if used for
summer cooling but for my requirements is this necessary?

Thanks,
Dermot.

If your not to advanced in the building stage, I would go with a heat
recovery system, rather than a fan.

Dave Jones wrote:
"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I am building a new house that has a living room with a high

ceiling
(6 meters high). I am considering purchasing a ceiling fan to help
push hot air down from the ceiling. What I want to know is does it
matter how close to the ceiling I install the fan for this purpose?

know that the fan should be about 7 feet above the ground if used

for
summer cooling but for my requirements is this necessary?

no

If your not to advanced in the building stage, I would go with a heat

recovery system, rather than a fan.

I'd go with both. And some other things too.

NT

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave Jones wrote:
"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I am building a new house that has a living room with a high

ceiling
(6 meters high). I am considering purchasing a ceiling fan to help
push hot air down from the ceiling. What I want to know is does it
matter how close to the ceiling I install the fan for this purpose?

know that the fan should be about 7 feet above the ground if used

for
summer cooling but for my requirements is this necessary?

no

If your not to advanced in the building stage, I would go with a heat

recovery system, rather than a fan.

I'd go with both. And some other things too.

Yeah - like a ceiling and another floor half way up :-)

Dermot O'Loughlin

Thanks for your reply - the house is built - i'm second fixing at the
moment so i've no options other than a fan. What I want to know from
someone is does it matter if I install the fan close to the ceiling -
say 1 meter from it? Will this still have the effect of circulating
the air in winter when running the fan clockwise.

"Dave Jones" wrote in message ...
"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I am building a new house that has a living room with a high ceiling
(6 meters high). I am considering purchasing a ceiling fan to help
push hot air down from the ceiling. What I want to know is does it
matter how close to the ceiling I install the fan for this purpose? I
know that the fan should be about 7 feet above the ground if used for
summer cooling but for my requirements is this necessary?

Thanks,
Dermot.

If your not to advanced in the building stage, I would go with a heat
recovery system, rather than a fan.

Mike

"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for your reply - the house is built - i'm second fixing at the
moment so i've no options other than a fan. What I want to know from
someone is does it matter if I install the fan close to the ceiling -
say 1 meter from it? Will this still have the effect of circulating
the air in winter when running the fan clockwise.

I've seen these fans in the US on a sort of bungy thing that you can pull up
and down. This might be what's needed as if you put the fan to near the
ceiling you'll have to run at full blast to reach the ground whereas too low
and the hot air will sit above it unaffected.

Andrew Chesters

Dermot O'Loughlin wrote:
Thanks for your reply - the house is built - i'm second fixing at the
moment so i've no options other than a fan. What I want to know from
someone is does it matter if I install the fan close to the ceiling -
say 1 meter from it? Will this still have the effect of circulating
the air in winter when running the fan clockwise.

Stirring the air WILL help, maybe not as much as some other suggestions.
1m down sounds fine too. Don't worry about which way you run the
thing, all you need to do is to stop layers of hot air forming up-top,
while you shiver down at floor level.

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 24th 04 12:50 AM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 01:29 AM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 11:39 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 08:15 PM
Ceiling rose wiring old house Driving me mad arr Toby UK diy 1 July 9th 03 04:20 PM