bill

Default skimming over old walls

was watching that DIY program on channel 5 with those 2 scottish blokes on
friday

the plasterer seemed to plaster over:
1 embossed wall paper on a ceiling
2 wall paper on a large wall

is this okay to do?

i have a really bad lathe and plaster ceiling with lots of cracks and
wallpaper, i was gonna tidy it with some filler and a few layers of paint,
but i would rather get a plasterer in to give it a better finish, but i dont
want to rip the whole ceiling down and plaster board

Lurch

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:20:30 +0000 (UTC), "bill"
strung together this:

was watching that DIY program on channel 5 with those 2 scottish blokes on
friday

the plasterer seemed to plaster over:
1 embossed wall paper on a ceiling
2 wall paper on a large wall

is this okay to do?

No, it's called rough. The two fairies have no idea what's going on,
if you need a wall or ceiling reskimming then wallpaper and loose
plaster\paint etc... needs to come off otherwise the whole lot just
falls off\cracks over time.

They just did it fo immediate effect, it's probably all in a heap on
the floor now.
--

SJW
chris French

In message , bill
writes
was watching that DIY program on channel 5 with those 2 scottish blokes on
friday

the plasterer seemed to plaster over:
1 embossed wall paper on a ceiling
2 wall paper on a large wall

is this okay to do?

No, it's a total bodge, s the plaster is relying ion the paper/wall
bond.

i have a really bad lathe and plaster ceiling with lots of cracks and
wallpaper, i was gonna tidy it with some filler and a few layers of paint,
but i would rather get a plasterer in to give it a better finish, but i dont
want to rip the whole ceiling down and plaster board

You don't need to rip the ceiling down. Skimming over an old surface is
fine as long as it's sound. But paper etc. needs removing first. you can
skim over the old ceiling, but you risk cracks returning, and depending
on the smoothness of the ceiling the end result may or may not be as
smooth as you'd like.

We've redone our ceiling here, so as above, most we overboarded first
and then reskimmed. Didn't take down old L&P, just fixed plasterboard
over the existing ceiling, then reskimmed over that

--
Chris French, Leeds
Lobster

bill wrote:
was watching that DIY program on channel 5 with those 2 scottish blokes on
friday

the plasterer seemed to plaster over:
1 embossed wall paper on a ceiling
2 wall paper on a large wall

is this okay to do?

i have a really bad lathe and plaster ceiling with lots of cracks and
wallpaper, i was gonna tidy it with some filler and a few layers of paint,
but i would rather get a plasterer in to give it a better finish, but i dont
want to rip the whole ceiling down and plaster board

If the original paper is really well stuck it might work. When I've
redecorated in the past, using the steam stripper to remove wallpaper,
I've several times (to my cost) found this had been done, because the
steam pulled off the wallpaper, the underlying skim plaster, and the
wallpaper underlying that...

The (very likely) risk is that when the plasterer does his work, the
water in the plaster soaks into the wallpaper and brings it off the
wall; whereupon, especially on the ceiling, the whole lot falls off
under its own weight. Most plasterers will refuse to plaster over
wallpaper for that reason - whatever agreement they may make with the
customer about the risk of it going pear-shaped, they don't need the
inevitable hassle they will still get when it does fall off.

Removal of the wallpaper with a steam stripper, followed by 1:4 PVA
solution prior to skimming, is a much better plan!

David