SPC

Default Installing Stair Spindles

All,

I have a traditional 1930's semi with 1970's panel staircase. I am
about to embark on ripping out the panels and installing spindles and
a new handrail. Before anyone asks, no the original spindles are not
behind the panels unfortunately.

Does anyone have any advice on the steps involved or can point me
towards some instrutions? Is it DIY'able or should I get someone in
(bearing in mind I am a fairly inexperienced woodworker)?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

SPC
Mary Fisher

"SPC" wrote in message
m...
All,

I have a traditional 1930's semi with 1970's panel staircase. I am
about to embark on ripping out the panels and installing spindles and
a new handrail. Before anyone asks, no the original spindles are not
behind the panels unfortunately.

That's a shame. So many people panelled their stairs for the sake of fashion
but they didn't need to remove the rails :-( . It does cut down on the
dusting (if you're bothered about that) but it also cuts down the light and
airy feel of the place. I hate the enclosed feeling of the panelled stairs,
I'd rather not have any barrier at all than a solid one.

Go ahead and do it. You can buy ready made spindles, I reckon it shouldn't
be difficult and someone round here will be able to tell you how even if the
instructions don't come with the pack.

Our rails are simple four square ones in groups of three. I prefer those to
fancy ones bcause of the dust ...

Mary

Dave

SPC wrote:
All,

I have a traditional 1930's semi with 1970's panel staircase. I am
about to embark on ripping out the panels and installing spindles and
a new handrail. Before anyone asks, no the original spindles are not
behind the panels unfortunately.

Does anyone have any advice on the steps involved or can point me
towards some instrutions? Is it DIY'able or should I get someone in
(bearing in mind I am a fairly inexperienced woodworker)?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

SPC

It's very straightforward but would be tedious without an electric mitre
saw. You can buy all the bits (spindles, newels, base rail, hand rail,
etc) from a number of sources including the sheds, Richard Burbridge are
well known but there are others. There are different ways to fix the
handrail to the newels, some easier and some more traditional.
I've seen a good "how to" leaflet on the web somewhere but can't find it
now - try spending some time with google.
It's worth doing, we had an 80s ranch style staircase with square newels
- yeuk.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Mike Clarke

In article , Dave
wrote:

It's very straightforward but would be tedious without an electric
mitre saw. You can buy all the bits (spindles, newels, base rail, hand
rail, etc) from a number of sources including the sheds, Richard
Burbridge are well known but there are others. There are different ways
to fix the handrail to the newels, some easier and some more traditional.
I've seen a good "how to" leaflet on the web somewhere but can't find
it now - try spending some time with google.

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/downloads/BRACKET_INS.pdf might be
useful.

Some of the sheds often have freebie Richard Burbridge brochures with
installation advice. I've seen them in B&Q and Focus.

--
Mike Clarke
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(SPC) writes:
All,

I have a traditional 1930's semi with 1970's panel staircase. I am
about to embark on ripping out the panels and installing spindles and
a new handrail. Before anyone asks, no the original spindles are not
behind the panels unfortunately.

Does anyone have any advice on the steps involved or can point me
towards some instrutions? Is it DIY'able or should I get someone in
(bearing in mind I am a fairly inexperienced woodworker)?

I tried for around a year to get a carpender. I did get one
which eventually came along and measured up, but then never
saw him again. Eventually I did it myself, and although I'd
not done serious carpentry (such as mortice and tenon joints)
since I was at school many years ago, it all came back quickly
after a couple of practice runs in some offcuts.

A tip... Buy the timber and leave it standing in the
stairwell for some time (6 weeks in my case, but that included
the thick newel posts) so it gets all its shrinking and warping
done at the right humidity before you start converting it into
banisters/splindles. I bought nearly twice as much timber as I
needed for the balustrades, which meant I could select the best
straight and unsplit sections to use when it had finished drying
out. In my case, I was installing newel posts from scratch too,
and I didn't want any further shrinkage after they were bolted
to the floor joists, which would have made the now inaccessible
nuts and bolts loose (which hasn't happened, glad to say).

There's a Richard Burbridge video which is quite useful for
showing you how to handle cuts at the stair angles which was £5
from B&Q at the time. It or their leaflets (can't recall which)
also covered the legal aspects such as balustrade spacing and
handrail height. The £5 is refunded if you buy their parts,
but I didn't -- except for the handrail, I made the newel posts
balustrades, etc from plain timber. If you are not up to mortice
and tenon joins, then there are metal brackets available to join
handrails to newel posts although I haven't tried them, and you
might find it easier to replace the handrails than to try and
use the ones you have.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Bamboo Stair Treads Punky Home Repair 0 January 6th 05 05:17 AM
Help installing stair stringers! MikeC Woodworking 4 December 20th 04 03:14 AM
Runners and stair rods ... Martin Pentreath UK diy 3 November 23rd 04 08:36 PM
Install Hardwood stair some user Home Repair 0 October 29th 04 08:20 PM
How to remove stair railing? ississauga Home Repair 5 September 30th 04 07:03 PM