Dave

Default Power shower electrical shocks

I've recently refitted a Mira Event Power Shower after retiling the
shower cubicle. I've also fitted a new shower head and hose of a metal
type. The one originally supplied with the shower was plastic.
Everything seemed to be fine for a week after the shower was put back
into action but now there is a slight electrical shock when standing
in the shower and touching the shower hose, and only when the shower
pump is running. (I've now isolated the shower until it's resolved).
Does anyone know if showers of this type should always be fitted with
a plastic hose and shower head? The earth connection from the fused
spur feeding the shower unit is connected but there is no way to cross
bond the metal shower hose as the inlet and outlet connections for the
water are all plastic.
BigWallop

Dave wrote:
I've recently refitted a Mira Event Power Shower after retiling the
shower cubicle. I've also fitted a new shower head and hose of a metal
type. The one originally supplied with the shower was plastic.
Everything seemed to be fine for a week after the shower was put back
into action but now there is a slight electrical shock when standing
in the shower and touching the shower hose, and only when the shower
pump is running. (I've now isolated the shower until it's resolved).
Does anyone know if showers of this type should always be fitted with
a plastic hose and shower head? The earth connection from the fused
spur feeding the shower unit is connected but there is no way to cross
bond the metal shower hose as the inlet and outlet connections for the
water are all plastic.

You may need to bond from the mixer valve to the nearest metal pipework or main
earth terminal in the fuse box. Because the pump is more likely using an
induction motor, there will be leakage to earth through its casing, so this
needs to be dealt with before the problem goes away.

Maybe that's why the shower had a rubber hose fitted and the plumber or sparks
couldn't find anything nearby to bond on to.

roger

Dave writes
I've recently refitted a Mira Event Power Shower after retiling the
shower cubicle. I've also fitted a new shower head and hose of a metal
type. The one originally supplied with the shower was plastic.
Everything seemed to be fine for a week after the shower was put back
into action but now there is a slight electrical shock when standing
in the shower and touching the shower hose, and only when the shower
pump is running.

Sounds familiar.
Check the voltage between E and N at the terminals where the mains comes
into the unit.
If it isn't between a small fraction of a volt and 3 volts, the earth
lead to the shower is broken/not connected somewhere.

--
roger

Delete x's to email
burbeck

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:28:39 +0100, roger
wrote:

Dave writes
I've recently refitted a Mira Event Power Shower after retiling the
shower cubicle. I've also fitted a new shower head and hose of a metal
type. The one originally supplied with the shower was plastic.
Everything seemed to be fine for a week after the shower was put back
into action but now there is a slight electrical shock when standing
in the shower and touching the shower hose, and only when the shower
pump is running.

Sounds familiar.
Check the voltage between E and N at the terminals where the mains comes
into the unit.
If it isn't between a small fraction of a volt and 3 volts, the earth
lead to the shower is broken/not connected somewhere.

hi,
although i can see the thinking behind Rogers idea, it is incorrect,
the earth terminal could be floating i.e not connected to anything and
would/could show a low or zero voltage from N to E at the terminals.
which would lead to the wrong asumption. further testing in this way
would be also be dependent on the volt meter used. this could lead to
a potentially dangerous condition, is esential that the earth is
good on this unit. i refer you to my first post, which contains the
correct way of sorting the problem, with regard to safety.
regards
bob

power/electric shower Graham Wilson UK diy 1 May 29th 04 02:07 PM
Power Shower mdrandall UK diy 1 April 24th 04 08:34 PM
Power Shower Spec Matt Scantlebury UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 11:05 PM
Shower electrical cable Jeff UK diy 1 August 13th 03 05:44 PM
Power to loft. Spur of 60A shower feed? Will Cooke UK diy 1 August 5th 03 01:15 AM