pulsar

Default double glazing units

I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
pulsar wrote:
I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

I'd say it would be easier and cheaper to just change the lot to the
configuration you require - especially if it's a stock sized unit. They're
really very easy to install.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
keng

You don't say what the frame is made from therefore no point in anyone
guessing.

If it is a wooden frame,design the new one around the dimensions of the
existing frame and use at least one of the existing glass units.

Apart from that there's nothing to be gained. Get a complete new window
and units.

Alex

fixed pains do not have the correct profile to become a hinged opening
window,it is not possible.you need to change the unit

Paul King

pulsar wrote:
I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G. You have
to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her permission before
starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the property.
Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but I'm
sure someone else will be along shortly...

brugnospamsia

"Paul King" wrote in message
news:1108259162.72f71e2d27e4d3fc6e63af208429e05f@t eranews...
pulsar wrote:
I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G. You have
to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her permission before
starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the property.
Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but
I'm sure someone else will be along shortly...

.... dunno about you guys (and gals), but everything in my house was done
years ago - before I moved in.

(Are UPVC extrusions date stamped BTW ?)

You'd think with all the terrorists allegedly lurking behind every tree,
those in power would have better things to do than penalise those of us who
find doing improving our own homes therapeutic. (And also who prefer not to
get into debt paying others to do it).

What next ? Skips and scaffolding only available to registered contractors
?

Jim White

In message
"brugnospamsia" wrote:
[snip]

(Are UPVC extrusions date stamped BTW ?)

[snip]

Dunno, but the cavity spacers in sealed units are stamped with the date
of manufacture from the "better" suppliers.

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Owain

"Paul King" wrote
| pulsar wrote:
| I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
| units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
| without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?
| With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G.

Wrong.

| You have to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her
permission

Confirmation that the work complies with Building Regulations. It's not
permission as they can't refuse to grant it provided the work is compliant.

| before starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the
property.
| Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but
I'm
| sure someone else will be along shortly...

Yes you can DIY it.

Without reference to Building Control you are allowed to *repair* an
existing window. As this is for a bathroom and I suspect the need is for
ventilation possibly the easiest way is to "repair" the window by replacing
one sealed unit with a replacement sealed unit with an extractor fan mounted
in it.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Without reference to Building Control you are allowed to *repair* an
existing window. As this is for a bathroom and I suspect the need is for
ventilation possibly the easiest way is to "repair" the window by
replacing one sealed unit with a replacement sealed unit with an
extractor fan mounted in it.

Would this include changing an entire UPVC DG window for another? After
all presumably the regs are there to make sure adequate ventilation etc if
changing old windows?

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| Without reference to Building Control you are allowed to *repair* an
| existing window. ...
| Would this include changing an entire UPVC DG window for another?

No, that would be replacement.

| After all presumably the regs are there to make sure adequate
| ventilation etc if changing old windows?

Yes, but under the regs *replacement* windows must be fitted by
FENSA-registered contractor or DIYed under a building control application.

Owain

Mike

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
. uk...
What next ? Skips and scaffolding only available to registered

contractors

Odd that you mention this but our local council discussed restricting use of
skips at a recent meeting.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
| Without reference to Building Control you are allowed to *repair* an
| existing window. ...
| Would this include changing an entire UPVC DG window for another?

No, that would be replacement.

| After all presumably the regs are there to make sure adequate
| ventilation etc if changing old windows?

Yes, but under the regs *replacement* windows must be fitted by
FENSA-registered contractor or DIYed under a building control
application.

Right. I'll ignore those as well. ;-)

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
brugnospamsia

"Mike" wrote in message

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
. uk...
What next ? Skips and scaffolding only available to registered

contractors

Odd that you mention this but our local council discussed restricting use
of
skips at a recent meeting.

Scary ...

Thinking about it I suppose I really meant the ability of householders to
dump modest amounts of rubble for free at amenity sites.

I was caught out a few months ago when I towed an 8 foot trailer to my local
tip as I had done before only to be told I now needed to apply in advance
for a permit to prove I wasn't trade. My brother and I were obliged to tow
it across the county line.

A few weeks later I had to make 3 round trips with a smaller trailer to
shift the same amount of stuff.

Tim S

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:46:33 +0000, Paul King wrote:

pulsar wrote:
I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G. You have
to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her permission before
starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the property.
Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but
I'm sure someone else will be along shortly...

Hi

It's not "seeking permission". There is an obligation to inform Building
Control of certain works 48 hours before commencement of work, and an
obligation to do work according to Building Regs standards. But
"permission" doesn't enter into it.

I'm also not very convinced by the recent scaremongering being put around
(mostly related to Part P, but also applicable to Part L) that failure to
comply will make selling the house difficult.

IIRC Building control has a limited opportunity to persue a case of
failing to inform Building Control, and that time is something like
6 months according a book on Building Regs I was reading recently.

After that, they've missed their chance. I'm not sure if there are any
other angles they can get you on, particularly if the work is not a
criminal safety hazard???...

Tim
Chris Bacon

Tim S wrote:
Paul King wrote:
pulsar wrote:
I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening
units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window
without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

What's the frame made of?

With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G.

Of course you can, you can't fit complete new windows without the
pen-pushers being involved. You can "repair" them.

You have
to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her permission before
starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the property.
Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but
I'm sure someone else will be along shortly...

It's not "seeking permission". There is an obligation to inform Building
Control of certain works 48 hours before commencement of work, and an
obligation to do work according to Building Regs standards. But
"permission" doesn't enter into it.

I'm also not very convinced by the recent scaremongering being put around
(mostly related to Part P, but also applicable to Part L) that failure to
comply will make selling the house difficult.

There's a lot of mis-information about, in plumbing terms "ballcocks".

chris French

In message , Tim S
writes

I'm also not very convinced by the recent scaremongering being put around
(mostly related to Part P, but also applicable to Part L) that failure to
comply will make selling the house difficult.

IIRC Building control has a limited opportunity to persue a case of
failing to inform Building Control, and that time is something like
6 months according a book on Building Regs I was reading recently.

After that, they've missed their chance. I'm not sure if there are any
other angles they can get you on, particularly if the work is not a
criminal safety hazard???...

Whether or not BC can do anything about it doesn't stop buyers and /or
solicitors making a fuss about things. It might or might not stop a sale
, but at the very least it could slow things down

I do know of personally at least one case where lack of FENSA/BCO
documentation fro replacement windows (that should have had it) caused a
problem re a sale (it was eventually resolved, but not without stress).

It's not helped by at least some solicitors seemingly knowing little
about BCO powers. when we sold out last house the buyers solicitors
wanted the building regs approval for carport that was at least 20
years old ! - our solicitor passed this on without a comment really.

Both seemed ignorant of:

1. it didn't need BR approval anyway

2. even if it had, after 20 years there was bugger all that could ahve
been done anyway.

Ojk it was easy enough for me to tell them both that it was a load of
********, but what of someone less knowledgeable about such things. And
it still added a bit more delay to the process.
--
Chris French

Cicero

"Tim S" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:46:33 +0000, Paul King wrote:

snipped
I'm also not very convinced by the recent scaremongering being put around
(mostly related to Part P, but also applicable to Part L) that failure to
comply will make selling the house difficult.

IIRC Building control has a limited opportunity to persue a case of
failing to inform Building Control, and that time is something like
6 months according a book on Building Regs I was reading recently.

After that, they've missed their chance. I'm not sure if there are any
other angles they can get you on, particularly if the work is not a
criminal safety hazard???...

Tim

=================
It has been stated here (I think) that the main cause for concern with
regard to Part P is that insurance companies may try to avoid payout (e.g.
in the event of a fire) if work done within the scope of Part P has not been
officially inspected and approved by BCO. For this reason alone it's worth
getting the required documentation, but of course getting the documentation
could save stress if you ever do decide to sell. A bit of paper with a
receipt for a large sum of money is very convincing for most solicitors.

Cic.

DJC

Cicero wrote:

getting the required documentation, but of course getting the documentation
could save stress if you ever do decide to sell. A bit of paper with a
receipt for a large sum of money is very convincing for most solicitors.

Checking for Building reg approval is one of the things required of
solicitors by the mortgage lenders [Council of Mortgage Lenders Handbook
part 1 sect 5.3 Panning and Building Regulations http://www.cml.org.uk/]
Of course all this runs to a formula so as with most official hassle the
best approach is to never tell them anything more than is strictly asked
for and always in a form which accords with the accepted right answer.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Where to buy double glazing sealed units only? [email protected] UK diy 12 January 4th 05 09:02 AM
Cheap double glazing, south London Alex \(YMG\) UK diy 0 November 6th 04 02:49 PM
Double Glazing Units.... sealing of? mark b UK diy 2 August 11th 04 08:43 PM
load bearing double glazing TP UK diy 6 July 4th 04 12:00 PM
Double glazing - a few lessons Clive Long,UK UK diy 7 November 13th 03 09:58 AM