Mike Dodd

Default Baxi Solo 2 40/PF fan "oscillating"

Completely different problem than a recent post, and a problem that I've had
for quite a while now...

Baxi Solo 2 40/PF Boiler.

When the boiler is supposed to fire up, the boiler can go through a phase of
firing up the fan, then cutting it off a second later. This results in a
quiet "whoophm, whoopm, whoopm" noise (around 0.5Hz) for the few minutes
before "something" takes hold, the fan spins normally and the boiler fires
up properly (with a healthy "click" of some relay somewhere actuating)

During all this, the proverbial "tap" on the side does cure this (boiler
fires immediately).

So.... what's this likely to involve?, is there some protection circuitry
around the fan that might be goosed?

As always, any help appreciated.

Mike

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:35:45 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Completely different problem than a recent post, and a problem that I've had
for quite a while now...

Baxi Solo 2 40/PF Boiler.

When the boiler is supposed to fire up, the boiler can go through a phase of
firing up the fan, then cutting it off a second later. This results in a
quiet "whoophm, whoopm, whoopm" noise (around 0.5Hz) for the few minutes
before "something" takes hold, the fan spins normally and the boiler fires
up properly (with a healthy "click" of some relay somewhere actuating)

During all this, the proverbial "tap" on the side does cure this (boiler
fires immediately).

So.... what's this likely to involve?, is there some protection circuitry
around the fan that might be goosed?

As always, any help appreciated.

Sounds very much as you would expect if the PCB (probably but not always a
relay on it) has a fault. The power is applied to the fan which starts
when the APS switches over the relay is meant to do so as well and keep
the power to the fan going. If the relay is stuck the power gets cut and
the fan slows down until the APS switches back.

raden

In message , Mike
Dodd writes
Completely different problem than a recent post, and a problem that I've had
for quite a while now...

Baxi Solo 2 40/PF Boiler.

When the boiler is supposed to fire up, the boiler can go through a phase of
firing up the fan, then cutting it off a second later. This results in a
quiet "whoophm, whoopm, whoopm" noise (around 0.5Hz) for the few minutes
before "something" takes hold, the fan spins normally and the boiler fires
up properly (with a healthy "click" of some relay somewhere actuating)

It sounds like it could be bad contacts in the air pressure switch.

It's also a failure mode of the PCB (normally a capacitor on the pcb in
the process of dying)

Quite what the "Whoomp, whoomp..." is, I'm not sure, but I get the same
with my vaillant boiler when it's trying to ignite.

Since I'm about to replace the boiler, and it only happens occasionally,
and ... nobody seems to know exactly why, I haven't investigated further

--
geoff
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:35:45 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:
?

As always, any help appreciated.

Sounds very much as you would expect if the PCB (probably but not always a
relay on it) has a fault. The power is applied to the fan which starts
when the APS switches over the relay is meant to do so as well and keep
the power to the fan going. If the relay is stuck the power gets cut and
the fan slows down until the APS switches back.

Ed - relays very seldom stick (only when a short causes the contacts to
weld together. It's usually whats driving it not getting up to a
sufficient voltage to energise it sufficiently.
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mike Dodd, John wrote:
Hi I have a Baxi solo 2 40 pf burner will not come on only if you open the
case it will then work fine until l turn the clock to off then it will not
come on again the air flow switch has been changed many thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-152234-.htm

Baxi Solo 3 PF Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 25 June 13th 12 02:18 PM
Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 - stopped working again Boz UK diy 4 February 9th 05 12:49 AM
Baxi Solo control problem Peter Dron UK diy 19 January 25th 05 10:31 PM
Baxi Solo 3 Andy Pandy UK diy 14 January 12th 05 10:11 PM
Baxi Solo 2 PF 80 boiler won't fire up Dave Burleigh UK diy 3 August 11th 03 05:24 PM