First Network

Default Suitable bath taps for combi boilers

At present we have a Potterton combi boiler which we are replacing with the
new one, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the operation of it. However, I
am hoping to buy the correct mixer taps for our new replacement (
uninstalled yet ) combi boiler. I have read the info on Comibination Boilers
by CliveE, David Shepherd and others and have learned much. However, the
more one learns, the more one needs to learn.

Combi works on mains pressure, which I am told is about 3 bar (but can vary
from area to area) and is high pressure according to David Shepherd. I am
going to display my total ignorance of plumbing by asking this question: if
mains pressure is high, why, according to an adviser from Tapstore.com, are
wall mounted taps designed for 3 bar pressure not suitable for combi
boilers, as he says that such boilers require 1-1.5 bar? I am looking at
the Crosswater Design 3 or 4 hole Bath set and if some kind person could see
whether this particular tap is suitable for combi boilers, I would be
extremely grateful. Thanks.
LianeP

Christian McArdle

going to display my total ignorance of plumbing by asking this question:
if
mains pressure is high, why, according to an adviser from Tapstore.com,

are
wall mounted taps designed for 3 bar pressure not suitable for combi
boilers, as he says that such boilers require 1-1.5 bar?

The "advisor" is getting confused. The combi boiler's secondary circuit will
be pressurised to 1-1.5bar. However, this is an utter irrelevence. The tap's
requirements will be based on your mains supply pressure. 3 bar seems a very
high amount to require, but you may find you have it anyway. You will need
to a pressure gauge connected to your existing kitchen tap to determine what
you have available. If it is above 6 bar, you should install a PRV (pressure
reducing valve), as excessively high pressure can cause problems.

Christian.

Removing bath taps, how!? [email protected] UK diy 16 December 6th 04 10:53 AM
No Cold Water coming from Mixer Taps on Bath Victoria UK diy 12 October 26th 04 12:33 AM
Bath Taps wont fit? a UK diy 4 September 7th 04 01:07 AM
Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 11:35 PM
Globe bath taps questions Steve UK diy 1 September 12th 03 12:46 AM