Ricky C

Default How vital are pipe inserts with pushfit plumbing wwit 22m acorn pipe?

How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

Thanks
Ricky C
Ian Stirling

Ricky C wrote:

How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

AIUI, the pipes will eventually 'creep' and the pressure the fittings
exert on them will squeeze them enough so tha the fittings are no longer
secure.
Whether they fall off completely at this point, or start to leak, depends
on luck and the design of the fittings.
Sorry.

For cold water, you might get away with it.
Grunff

Ricky C wrote:
How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

I don't know Acorn pipe, but if it is plastic (barrier or not), then you
need to redo it with inserts. If you don't, it will eventually leak. How
long it lasts depends on whether there is any mechanical load on the
pipe/fitting.

--
Grunff
Ian Middleton

"Ricky C" wrote in message

How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

Plumber missed one off on a Hep2o hot pipe for a shower and weeped slightly
after a month or two. Took apart put insert in and re-assembled and to my
knowledge has been OK since.

Paul King

Ricky C wrote:
How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

Thanks
Ricky C

Last house I lived in (13 years) had Acorn CH and DHW when we moved in, and
Acorn when we moved out. None of the joints had pipe inserts - and none
leaked, ever

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:25:16 +0000, Ricky C wrote:

How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

Thanks
Ricky C

My own view is that the inserts make the process of making a reliable
water tight joint easier and certain.

They are absolutely essential for use in compression fittings.

There _might_ be some longer term issues about the reliability of the
joints without inserts.

Opinions vary, manufacturers would say essential. It makes sense to use
them but if you forgot and it doesn't leak and the joint will be
accessible (albeit with some work) then leave as is.

Ricky C

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:19:32 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone for the replies. After reading them, I went ahead
and redid the job with inserts. The speedfit fittings came apart much
easier than I had feared.

RickyC
Hepworth Plumbing Team

"Ricky C" wrote in message

How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I
installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my
central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten
to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn
pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become
leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again
and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

Thanks
Ricky C

Pipe inserts (support sleeves) should always be used with Hep2O pipe
(and with Acorn, its predecessor). The support sleeve serves several
purposes:-

1) It helps to make the pipe round if it has been slightly crushed by
cutting
2) It assists in jointing with push fit fittings
3) It is necessary to ensure the long term performance of the joint,
particularly at elevated temperatures and pressures.

If using compression joints on Hep2O pipe, it is essential that a support
sleeve is inserted into the pipe, as it provides support for the pipe
against
the olive.

The Hepworth Plumbing Products Team
--
Tel: +44 (0)1709 856 300 |Hepworth Plumbing Products
Fax: +44 (0)1709 856 301 |Edlington Lane, Edlington