Dan Gravell

Default Breaking down a concrete yard

Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

Thanks,
Dan
[news]

Dan Gravell wrote:
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with
an extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's
going too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it?

1/ hire skip and be prepared to hire another because there's probably more
concrete there than you think, especially if you leave it in big chunks ;-)

2/ go at it with a selection of sledge hammers (my fave) or an electric
drill/breaker/SDS+/- ... until it's all in the skip. this willprobably take
more than the time set aside for the purpose. this is also normal.

How thick is it likely to be?

that's what's called an easter egg, you never know

Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

try electric 1st, one of them cheapo £35 SDS jobbies from screwfix et al
ought to do it but, as I said, I prefer to use a big FO sledgehammer and
reduce the concrete crust to wheelbarrow sized chunks.

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

hopefully, watch out for pipes, cables, ex tennants, bombs etc.

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

indeed. best get rid of the concrete before deciding what to do about them

Thanks,
Dan

yw

RT

Graham Bowers (Zen)

Dan Gravell wrote:
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

Thanks,
Dan

I rented an electric breaker. I can't remember how much or what type,
but it was 110 volts so I needed a transformer, so could indicate an
industrial type. It cut through like a knife through butter and some of
that concrete was 9 inches thick. I did try a sledge and chisel first
but it bounced off.
Cheers
Graham
nightjar

"Dan Gravell" wrote in message
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be?

However thick the people who poured it wanted it to be. When I had a 900mm
deep retractable post fitted into an area of concrete a few years ago, the
builder didn't break through the bottom of the concrete when digging the
hole. However, it had once been a runway.

Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

You don't need to, but it will be a lot easier if you hire an electric or
pneumatic concrete breaker. A chap I know simply invited a lot of friends
around, laid in lots of alcohol and got everyone to help with the job. He
had two concrete breakers and several wheelbarrows.

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

You won't know until you take it up. Properly laid concrete should have a
wel-compacted sub-base below it, although you might just find a layer of
rubble. You are unlikely to find useable topsoil, so you will need to buy
that in. Someone else I know simply broke a few holes through the concrete,
built dwarf walls and put the topsoil over the concrete in raised beds.

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into the
concrete.

Lift them to find out how deep the drains are. If they are shallow, breaking
the concrete above them might damage them. Take care breaking the concrete
around the manholes, in any case.

Colin Bignell

paul

"Dan Gravell" wrote in message
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

Thanks,
Dan

Thinking out loud.... what about hiring a petrol still saw and score the
concrete around the
manhole covers and then score the surface in a grid pattern all over.

What will this do????

It will allow the concrete to be seperated from the covers/drain easily and
then while
you have use of the saw all day you might as well score the whole surface
and make it
a bit easier to break up the concrete into manageable pieces.

Paul

Rick

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:34:28 +0000, Dan Gravell
wrote:

Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

Thanks,
Dan

I'd goto my local friendly hire shop, tell them the issue, and see
what they offer you. Take all the saftey kit you can get.

If I was feeling cheep, I'd by a sledge hammer, but that will cost
almost as much as the hire for a single job.

A small mini digger, is (from my local place) 40 quid a day + VAT +
diesel (a fiver tops for diesel). I collect myself. The car will tow a
750kg model, but you may need a 1.5 tonne if its thick.

Rick

Mike Hibbert

Graham Bowers (Zen) wrote:
Dan Gravell wrote:

[...]

WE hired a Kango from HSS, I think it was about £40 for the weeekend.
Makes the job much easier.

Got to www.hss.co.uk and seach for "Heavy-Duty ATC Combi-Hammer"

Mike
John Stumbles

Dan Gravell wrote:
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

Unless the concrete was built to withstand WWIII it's probably easiest
to smash it using a big (as big as you can comfortably lift and swing)
sledgehammer. It's surprising (and very satisfying) how easy it is to
break garden-grade concrete if you hit it right (and suprising how
feeble power tools that are quite macho at knocking holes in walls are
in this application). The trick (as with swinging an axe) is to start
the swing with hands at opposite ends of the handle (right hand at the
head end if you're right-handed) and in mid-swing transfer the right
hand about half-way along the shaft to accelerate the swing. Try not to
slide your hand along the shaft or you'll quickly get blisters. Cotton
(e.g. gardening) gloves are probably a help, maybe the sort with rubber
blobs on the outside to give grip.

Jeff

"Dan Gravell" wrote in message
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

Thanks,
Dan

Been there and done that, biggest cost is the skips, large at £100 + vat, I
hired a bosch 10kg breaker and transformer which, if your concrete is thick
i.e. 4" + makes it relatively easy, wear eye protection and gloves

Regards Jeff

Mike

"Dan Gravell" wrote in message
Hi, novice diy'er/gardner here.

I want to transform my South London back yard into a rural idyll.
Currently my back yard is almost completely covered in concrete, with an
extra thick bit where a ludicruously oversized shed sits (that's going
too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

When I remove it, will I likely just have soil underneath?

Another consideration is that manhole covers and drains are built into
the concrete.

Build upwards instead. Use stone to create flower beds and fill with good
qaulity earth. Use sawn in half barrels for shrubs or small trees.
Remember concrete has one advantage - no weeds !

Andrew Chesters

Jeff wrote:
[...]

This will be the third reference to safety kit! In addition to goggles
& gloves, buy a pair of toe capped boots. Doing this sort of work is a
REALLY good way to trash your toes. They don't cost much, and if you
aren't doing this often will last forever, your toes will thank you.

Good boots £40.
John Rumm

Dan Gravell wrote:

too). I guess I want to remove this, but how do I go about it? How thick
is it likely to be? Do I need to hire a pneumatic drill or similar?

As no one seems to have mentioned it so far, "air" is your friend here!
As in, concrete will break much more easily if you can get a space under
it. So hit it a bit to get a crack, then use a very long lever to lift
the edge. If you are working with someone, get them to clomp it while
you have it levered up, if working on your own you need to leaver a bit
up, kick some half bricks/rubble under it, and then go clomp it yourself.

Having played this game before I found a sledge, long bar, and pick did
half the concrete I needed lifting very quickly. The other half required
a hydraulic breaker and a 1.5 tonne mini digger!

YMMV
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote -
......concrete will break much more easily if you can get a space

under it.

That is so true.

I had a concrete garden path that was about 3 inches thick. A
sledgehammer or pick just bounced off it unless you really got savage
with it, but then there seemed to be more prospect of damage occurring
to me rather than the path.

I then hit upon the idea of trying to lever up a section of it, using a
strong pole. Once you can prise the concrete away from the ground by
just an inch or two, it only needs a tap with a club hammer to break it
off into manageable bits. Seriously, it needed so little force to break
it that a child could have done it.

The only trick is to put something under the raised section so that it
stays off the ground when the lever is moved, otherwise you have to
keep lifting it again.

60 feet of paving was demolished in a part of an afternoon. The only
hard bit was barrowing it all away.

I could have done the whole job in the time it would have taken me to
drive to the hire shop and return their kit afterwards.

rockdoctor

One of my friends has a kid so destructive that all you would need to
do is invite him round to play in your yard and tell him to be careful
because the concrete is expensive and delicate.
It'd be dust and fragments in an hour....

Straw Bales as Concrete Void Form for Garage Floor Wpg Man Home Repair 18 June 12th 21 08:25 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM