Default Newbie tiling questions

I'm halfway through my first ever tiling project. Everything is going
well -- the tiles are staying stuck to to the wall and are reasonably
level!

A couple of questions:

* When to grout? Should I wait until I have finished sticking up all
the tiles (about 80 x 15cm tiles = 2 sq metres approx.) before
commencing grouting? Or can I do small patches at a time?

* Tiling round a flush mounted electric socket. Just patch bits of tile
around it as neatly as possible? How do the professionals do this?

Thanks
Bruce

Christian McArdle

* When to grout? Should I wait until I have finished sticking up all
the tiles (about 80 x 15cm tiles = 2 sq metres approx.) before
commencing grouting? Or can I do small patches at a time?

Do all the sticking. Then all the grouting. Grout over the entire surface,
then clean. All of it, quickly. It takes a second or two to clean a tile
when the grout is wet, or a minute or two if the grout has set.

* Tiling round a flush mounted electric socket. Just patch bits of tile
around it as neatly as possible? How do the professionals do this?

Undo the screws. Tile right up to the metal box. Tighten the box back onto
the tiles. You may need to procure longer screws.

Christian.

John Rumm

Huge wrote:

The tile's fingers, that is...

Depends on what you stick in the saw!

--
Cheers,

John.

bruce phipps

Do all the sticking. Then all the grouting. Grout over the entire surface,
then clean. All of it, quickly. It takes a second or two to clean a tile
when the grout is wet, or a minute or two if the grout has set.

Thanks.
I'm now gearing up to do the grouting. I have bought a grout spreader
tool + a pot of ready-mixed grout.
Whats the procedure?

* Wipe grout over all the tiled surface.
* Poke down into gaps?
* Wipe over tiles with a damp cloth to clean grout off.
* Run a dowel over joints.

Bruce
John Rumm

bruce phipps wrote:

I'm now gearing up to do the grouting. I have bought a grout spreader
tool + a pot of ready-mixed grout.
Whats the procedure?

If you have one of those nice rubber face float type beasties then:

* Wipe grout over all the tiled surface.
* Poke down into gaps?

Wipe on making sure it goes into all the gaps, then use the trowel like
a squeegy to take off all the surplus grout (or spread it to the next un
grouted space). Do about a sq meter, then go back and profile your
joints with either a dowel, ready made rubber finger, or the corner of a
damp sponge.

* Wipe over tiles with a damp cloth to clean grout off.

Slightly damp sponge works well here - don't wipe too hard since you
dont want to mess up your profile on the grout lines... some people
forget the profileing and jump straight to this stage - using the sponge
to do the grout lines.

let it all dry, come back and polish the remaining film of grout off the
tiles with a dry paper towel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

let it all dry, come back and polish the remaining film of grout off the
tiles with a dry paper towel.

And then seal the grout with Lithofin KF StainStop, so it doesn't go black
and manky.

Christian.

Thanks to all.

One final tiling question:

The gap between worktop and wall tiles is too large for a bead of
acrylic sealant. I plan to fit some sort of plastic sealing strip.

* If I glue the back of plastic sealing strip to wall tiles will it
hold fast OK?

Thanks
Bruce

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:
let it all dry, come back and polish the remaining film of grout off the
tiles with a dry paper towel.

And then seal the grout with Lithofin KF StainStop, so it doesn't go black
and manky.

Not tried it yet, but I have a bottle of Lithofin KF Grout Protector
which seemed more ideally suited to the task (since the tiles themselves
are glazed and don't also need sealing which is where the StainStop
would come into its own).

--
Cheers,

John.