simon beer

Default new house cost

ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know it's how
long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the material cost of say
your average well specked 4 bed estate house. Block construction not timber
framed and a footprint of about 40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or point
to a news group more dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing it
yourself rather that just arranging the contractors yourself.
many thanks

--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

Christian McArdle

ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be.

Obviously very ball park with a million varaibles, but say 110,000 GBP for
nothing special and contract fittings.

Christian.

Ian Middleton

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be.

Obviously very ball park with a million varaibles, but say 110,000 GBP for
nothing special and contract fittings.

Christian.

My insurance company rate the re-build cost for my similar sized house as
£130k. I got the original re-build cost (£86k) in 2000 by phoning up the
builders and just asking, as the rebuild cost (not sale cost) greatly
affects your buildings insurance.

Jonty Pearson

simon beer wrote:
ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know
it's how long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the
material cost of say your average well specked 4 bed estate house.
Block construction not timber framed and a footprint of about
40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or point to a news group more
dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing it yourself rather
that just arranging the contractors yourself.
many thanks

This one made grand-designs a few years ago and cost £75K to build, from
recollection is was reasonably high spec!

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/...ereford-2.html

Land is difficult to find these days and years ago you had to fund all the
costs (i.e. profesional fees / plot cost/ groundworks) until the foundations
were in before you could get a mortgage, no idea if this is still the case!

Unless you or your family are in the trade, it usually pays to employ a
project manager (about 10% of build cost) to run your site!!

Jon

Colin Wilson

This one made grand-designs a few years ago and cost =A375K to build, fro=
m=20
recollection is was reasonably high spec!

I remember that one - the whole family were in the building game IIRC so=20
the build costs were unrealistically low, as they were getting much of=20
the work free.

"The build was a family affair. The frame was made in Merry's father's=20
workshop; her uncle helped manage the project; and her cousins offered=20
their expertise on site."

--=20

IMM

"simon beer" wrote in message
ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know it's

how
long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the material cost of

say
your average well specked 4 bed estate house. Block construction not

timber
framed

Block construction? Madness!!! Look at SIPs
..
and a footprint of about 40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or point
to a news group more dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing it
yourself rather that just arranging the contractors yourself.
many thanks

2000 squ foot, det, 4 bed, 2 bath house is approx 100-110K to build.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
IMM

"Jonty Pearson" wrote in message
simon beer wrote:
[...]

No. they have progression mortgages. They drip feed you the money in
stages, and only after the prior stage is built and inspected.

Unless you or your family are in the trade, it usually pays to employ a
project manager (about 10% of build cost) to run your site!!

Jon

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be.

Obviously very ball park with a million varaibles, but say 110,000 GBP for
nothing special and contract fittings.

Selfbuilt, that would be decent spec and fittings.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
.

In article , Christian
McArdle writes
ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be.

Obviously very ball park with a million varaibles, but say 110,000 GBP for
nothing special and contract fittings.

Christian.

How have you arrived at that Christian? I thought it would be 80-90K

--
David
Jonty Pearson

Colin Wilson wrote:
This one made grand-designs a few years ago and cost £75K to build,
from recollection is was reasonably high spec!

I remember that one - the whole family were in the building game IIRC
so the build costs were unrealistically low, as they were getting
much of the work free.

"The build was a family affair. The frame was made in Merry's father's
workshop; her uncle helped manage the project; and her cousins offered
their expertise on site."

Fully agree with your comments - nevertheless oak timber frames, hand made
bricks, lime render, underfloor heating, traditional building methods (e.g
craftmen!) etc isn't cheap, so even if you add 1/3rd again that they got as
'freebies', a £100K goes a long long way!

Jon

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Wilson
saying something like:

This one made grand-designs a few years ago and cost £75K to build, from
recollection is was reasonably high spec!

I remember that one - the whole family were in the building game IIRC so
the build costs were unrealistically low, as they were getting much of
the work free.

Afair, the site was a bit free, too.
--

Dave
The Natural Philosopher

simon beer wrote:

ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know it's how
long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the material cost of say
your average well specked 4 bed estate house. Block construction not timber
framed and a footprint of about 40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or point
to a news group more dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing it
yourself rather that just arranging the contractors yourself.
many thanks

--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

Go for £75 a sq ft for a bare shell with basic fitings, and £100-£150 a
square foot for all fitted out to your state with garden and drive and
everything done the way YOU want it.

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"simon beer" wrote in message

ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know it's

how

long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the material cost of

say

your average well specked 4 bed estate house. Block construction not

timber

framed

Block construction? Madness!!! Look at SIPs
.

and a footprint of about 40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or point
to a news group more dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing it
yourself rather that just arranging the contractors yourself.
many thanks

2000 squ foot, det, 4 bed, 2 bath house is approx 100-110K to build.

And appx 100K to then make it worh living in.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

simon beer

Go for £75 a sq ft for a bare shell with basic fitings, and £100-£150 a
square foot for all fitted out to your state with garden and drive and
everything done the way YOU want it.

I've had £75 a sq ft mentioned to me as a finished build. Is this the going
rate at the moment, how did you come by this figure. I was thinking that
£100K would build something but am now leaning towards the thought that it
may take another £20K. I suppose there is the advantage of the VAT return at
the end to of set against some of this, although I appreciate that this is
not a fortune!

IMM

IMM wrote:

"simon beer" wrote in message

[...]

Bad taste costs All those swirly patterned carpets and leapard skinned
furniture you have must cost a bomb.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
The Natural Philosopher

simon beer wrote:

Go for £75 a sq ft for a bare shell with basic fitings, and £100-£150 a
square foot for all fitted out to your state with garden and drive and
everything done the way YOU want it.

I've had £75 a sq ft mentioned to me as a finished build.

Yes, that's correct, a bare shell with basic fittings, like a new wimpey
hutch.

Then there's a decent drive, and that garage, and the shed, and the
curtains need changing, and no more plastic tracks, she wants wooden
poles, and oh lord, how about brass fittings on the sockets, and those
fancy wall lights that cots about 500 quid a room... and that
kitchen...Darling I want a PROPER kitchen that costs 20,000 quid, not
this naff plastic ****e with a cheapo built in ceramic hob...and
darling, can't we have some nice slate floors, and a pond, and some
flower gardens, and a patio and.....it turns out to be nearer
£100k-£150k mate. I know.

Is this the going
rate at the moment, how did you come by this figure. I was thinking that
£100K would build something but am now leaning towards the thought that it
may take another £20K. I suppose there is the advantage of the VAT return at
the end to of set against some of this, although I appreciate that this is
not a fortune!

It all adds up.

The trouble is, there is a world of difference between a builder
knocking something out at rock bottom price (= 'a house') and what She
wants to live in (='a Home').

If you think you can move into a new build house and get away with less
than £20k to 'personalise' it to Her Tastes (or lack of it) think again...

As there is a world of difference between a boring square box with a
single pitch gable ended roof, manhole covres where the builder found it
easiets to put them, ione electric socket per room, and no oter wiring,
and a crap basic bog and bathroom...and a nice interesting design with
hips and dormers and valleys and chimneys and so on. All filled to te
gills with ensuite this and built in that.

Hence trying to set a sort of scale between '£75 a square= Barrat
superhutch" and £150 a square = "very comfortable interesting and nicely
finshed luxury modern house"

The bloke down the road took an old listed house bought for £475k and
spent £2.5m on refurbishment, and building a ghastly modern packing
crate on the side, and constructing a floodlit car park, like Tescos,
and sticking vile modern art sculptures everywhere. My guess is its all
about 4000 sq ft, so his total spend was getting on for £750 a square ft
estimated.

Thats why I think its safer to budget on £100-£125 for something
interesting, especially if its all done by someone else, who will take a
cut and still make nearly as much of a cockup as you would yourself.

I.e. £75 will buy you what someone else finds quick and simple to build.
Thart pases the ffiniton of'fit for occupation'
£100 will buy you something that is pleasant to look at outside, with
some basic landscaping.
£125 will make the inside the way She wants it.

Because if you just wanted a basic house, why are you building your own?

The Natural Philosopher

--

simon beer wrote:

[...]

When working out the square ft are we talking the ground floor area i.e. the
footprint of the house.

Nope. Total. All gflors.

By far and away the greatest costs are applying finishes and fitting
doors, windows, electrical sockets and the like. These scale by
habitable area.

More than two floors does get a buit cheaper, as you only have one set
of foundsations and drains, and one roof...normally tehse are of
comparable cost associated e.g. with each floor.

Bunglaows are therefore slightly more expensive, except you gain useable
space by dint of lack of staircases. These take up an enormous amount of
space in a small house.

You tend to have more bathrooms in bigger houses as well - so those sale
by area too.

The actual shell costs of a house are surprisingly small. You can erect
a warehouse at very low cost. Its 'homeifying' it that takes the money.
I saw 'makeover' costs for london flats estimated at £100-150 a square.
In the FT. That's to strip out and refit a space totally.

The reason te sheds do so well is precisel becaise te avreage first time
buuyer on a 2 bed semi on a new estate, immdeiately goes out and spends
50 grand over the first year or two doing the garden, the decking, the
drive, relacing all the lights, curtains, installing more cupboards,
carpets etc etc and painting it all in suitable Carol Smiley ish colours..

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Bad taste costs All those swirly patterned carpets and leapard skinned
furniture you have must cost a bomb.

Huh?

None of those John.

Actually all my sofas are free gifts from friends and relatives.

Lights and curtains were horrendous though.

As were bathrooms with tiles and taps and stuff.

She could easily have spent over a grand for curtains and poles for just
one french window...that costs about a grand in itself...

Ive spent abou 5 grand just paving up the areas we need to sit out
on...and I think the planting is running at several grand, as is the
bill for general hire of diggers to landscape..

Christ, to mow it takes a 2 grand lawnmower...
Nick Atty

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:27:10 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The actual shell costs of a house are surprisingly small. You can erect
a warehouse at very low cost. Its 'homeifying' it that takes the money.
I saw 'makeover' costs for london flats estimated at £100-150 a square.
In the FT. That's to strip out and refit a space totally.

Yeah I know what you mean - we had upstairs gutted and extended into the
loft space over a single story extension, and downstairs drastically
altered (walls out, staircase moved, that sort of thing).

It doesn't come in as much cheaper than a new build, as you end up
having to pay for demolition and skips as well. Plus, of course, you
have to pay the VAT.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

simon beer

Because if you just wanted a basic house, why are you building your own?

Because a basic 4 bed house in the village is knocking on the door of
£300,000 and I can't quite make that. More fancy one off builds are going
for near the £500K. I don't know how people manage it, but then there is not
one local person in any of these!!

Edward W. Thompson

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:56:21 -0000, "Ian Middleton"
wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.net...
ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be.

Obviously very ball park with a million varaibles, but say 110,000 GBP for
nothing special and contract fittings.

Christian.

My insurance company rate the re-build cost for my similar sized house as
£130k. I got the original re-build cost (£86k) in 2000 by phoning up the
builders and just asking, as the rebuild cost (not sale cost) greatly
affects your buildings insurance.

The difference may be accounted for by the Insurance Company including
site clearance in their price whereas the builder may not.
chris French

In message , simon beer
writes

Because a basic 4 bed house in the village is knocking on the door of
£300,000 and I can't quite make that. More fancy one off builds are going
for near the £500K. I don't know how people manage it, but then there is not
one local person in any of these!!

My solution was to marry a wife with 3-4 times the earning capacity of
--
Chris French, Leeds