Sean

Default Questions on fitting a stove and flue

Hi there

I've got a few queries about fitting a stove I was hope I could get
some feedback before I progress...here goes

New build with concrete first floors.
The ceilings in the downstairs room have been battened down by approx
4 inches and then platerboarded and skimmed
The living room where the stove is to be fitted has currently no
chimney breast. The chiminey breast however has been built from the
first floor above and a hole cut in the concrete floor to the living
room below (clay flue liner).

The stove assembly consists of the stove, a spiggot which will bolt
onto the under side of the concrete floor and the flue of course which
slots in between the spiggot and the stove. The flue is single layer
The stove will need to be placed on a hearth (which has still to
built) and a fireplace built up around the stove (again needs to be
built)

So really what I intend to do is .... in order
Build the heart initially as well as part of the fireplace around the
stove
Cut a hole in the ceiling to give me access to the clay lined chimney
above
Bolt on the spiggot to the underside of the concrete floor and then
seal with fire cement (grog)between the clay flue above and the metal
spiggot (which has smaller diameter than clay flue above so I intend
to taper the grog at this point towards the smaller dimention)
Slip a stainless steel insulated liner over approx 800mm of the top
part of the flue so as to stop heat from the top part of the flue
getting anywhere near the timber battens and the void in the ceiling.
The lower section of the flue needs to be uninsulated as the access
for cleaning is at this point
Position stove on hearth and then connect and seal the flue to both
the spiggot and stove
Now at this point I can complete the building of the fireplace around
the stove
I also intend during the building of the dummy fireplace to insulate
around the flue (a false ceiling in the chimney breast being built) to
stop heat from the stove itself getting up into the ceiling void

This is what I think I need to do, but I'd appreciate advice from
anybody who sees someting wrong with this approach

Hope I've explianed this adaquately for you all to understand

Regards
Sean
Lawrence Milbourn

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
[...]

On the advice of my supplier, I used high temperature silicone between the
stainless spigot plate and the concrete slab above, with no problems at all.
I had intended to use fire cement as a fillet as you describe but decided in
the end it wasn't necessary.

Best of luck,

Lawrence

Heatproofing the wall behind wood burning stove Simon Langford UK diy 7 January 22nd 05 02:04 PM
Woodstove flue damper John Home Repair 1 November 21st 04 03:55 AM
Distributing wood burning stove heat [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 29th 04 02:43 AM
How do I use my wood stove? Phil Crow Woodworking 29 January 15th 04 01:20 AM
Wood burning stove Martin Carroll UK diy 4 October 12th 03 09:44 PM