Dave West

Default Lectric and bathrooms

I want to install a shaver socket in the bathroom for the leccy toothbrush
which at the moment, sits outside on the landing. Is it OK to take a feed
for this from the upstairs lighting circuit (dropping down from the loft) or
do I have to lift the floorboards and feed it from the upstairs ring main?

TIA, Dave.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave West" writes:
I want to install a shaver socket in the bathroom for the leccy toothbrush
which at the moment, sits outside on the landing. Is it OK to take a feed
for this from the upstairs lighting circuit (dropping down from the loft) or

That is the normal way of supplying such sockets.

do I have to lift the floorboards and feed it from the upstairs ring main?

No.

Note that it must be type of shaver socket with an isolating transformer
built in to it. These are normally in the 16-22 quid range and have 120V
and 240V sockets on them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Owain

"Dave West" wrote
| I want to install a shaver socket in the bathroom for the leccy
| toothbrush which at the moment, sits outside on the landing.
| Is it OK to take a feed for this from the upstairs lighting circuit
| (dropping down from the loft) or do I have to lift the floorboards
| and feed it from the upstairs ring main?

The lighting circuit is acceptable, as bathroom shaver sockets are limited
to about 20W anyway by an internal cutout. You will need a bathroom
(transformer isolated) type socket.

Owain