Jerry Built

Default Glass scrapers [was: Polishing scratches out of glass]

"N. Thornton" wrote:
John Rumm ...
Martin Pentreath wrote:
At some point in the past someone has overenthusiatically
sanded the window frames of my house, and managed to put
small scratches around the edges of nearly all the windows.
I'd like to polish the scratches out, and I've done some
research through the archives to discover that jewellers'
rouge is the stuff to get.

My Father In Law is a glass engraver, and is often asked if
it is possible to remove scratches, or change/erase the
engraving on glass. The usual answer is that while not 100%
effective, you can significantly diminish most scratches with
a rubber wheel on the end of a dremmel type tool.

You mean with rouge on it?

Erm, rouge? Jeweller's rouge, or do you have to apply make-up???
I should think that polishing out scratches like this might lead
to so much distortion as to be counter-productive. Might a better
bet be something to fill in or disguise the scratches, like you
can get for car windscreens? It might even be better to replace
the glass....

Re. the glass scraper, I got one from my local hardware shop
(a good "we stock everything" one) - one of the metal kind of
scrapers with a retractable blade that takes single-edged
razor blades. It's really good, much better than the Stanley
knife bladed "DIY" versions - my old one vanished ages ago,
and I've been looking for one for some time. Got 30% off a
box of blades, too! Result! It's almost as easy to paint a
window, not worrying about paint on the glass, and whizz off
the excess when dry, as it is to do a proper job and run a
paint bead along the glass.

J.B.
N. Thornton

Jerry Built ] wrote in message news:N1MCP5JWEJH1HWFUGEPUDVFVOHN1INGHGHJ1N1OE@zip lip.com...
"N. Thornton" wrote:
John Rumm ...
Martin Pentreath wrote:

[...]

I used a razor blade to clean up some glass one time. It had muck on
it that nothing else managed to shift. Trouble is, its very easy to
cut the surface of the glass, leaving it matt and light scattering.
There wasnt a big gap between the pressure needed to remove the muck
and that needed to damage the glass itself. So I'd take care with your
razor scraper.

Regards, NT