Jyestyn

Default OT Water supply outage and combi boiler.

A collegue of mine is due to lose his mains water supply later
this week (Thursday) during essential maintenance by water
authority contractors. The water will be off from 08.00 Thursday
until 20.00 on Friday this week. The works involve replacement of
the complete water mains supply pipework in the street, up to the
individual valve outside each property.

His house is fitted with a combi gas boiler. He is unsure if he
will be able to run his combi (for heating only) whilst the water
main is off. I am unable to answer this question, I am not
a combi user myself.

I would be interested to hear the experts opinions on this
situation.

Jason

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Jyestyn" writes:
A collegue of mine is due to lose his mains water supply later
this week (Thursday) during essential maintenance by water
authority contractors. The water will be off from 08.00 Thursday
until 20.00 on Friday this week. The works involve replacement of
the complete water mains supply pipework in the street, up to the
individual valve outside each property.

His house is fitted with a combi gas boiler. He is unsure if he
will be able to run his combi (for heating only) whilst the water
main is off. I am unable to answer this question, I am not
a combi user myself.

Combi should continue working fine for heating. It would probably
be a good idea to switch off its hot water facility whilst the
work is going on so pressure changes and air in pipework don't
cause it to fire up, and/or switch off the water at the mains.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Stumbles

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"Jyestyn" writes:

A collegue of mine is due to lose his mains water supply later
this week (Thursday) during essential maintenance by water
authority contractors. The water will be off from 08.00 Thursday
until 20.00 on Friday this week. The works involve replacement of
the complete water mains supply pipework in the street, up to the
individual valve outside each property.

His house is fitted with a combi gas boiler. He is unsure if he
will be able to run his combi (for heating only) whilst the water
main is off. I am unable to answer this question, I am not
a combi user myself.

Combi should continue working fine for heating. It would probably
be a good idea to switch off its hot water facility whilst the
work is going on so pressure changes and air in pipework don't
cause it to fire up, and/or switch off the water at the mains.

I'd also turn off the stopcock in the house when they turn off the
supply in the street then, when they restore the supply, attach a hose
to and open the drain cock (which should be just after the stopcock on
the house side) and open the stopcock slowly to flush grit out of the
incoming pipework before it can get into your (friend's) combi, taps,
float valves etc where it can cause trouble.
Jyestyn

John Stumbles wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"Jyestyn" writes:

[...]

Thanks for your replies, John and Andrew, I'll pass on the good news
to my friend :-)

Jason