Junior Member

Default Venting my tumble drier

I am having a new kitchen installed, and as it is a quite expensive project and we are already having to get some new appliances I would like to make use my exisiting traditional (ie vented) tumble drier if at all possible. However, due to the layout of the space it won't be possible to position the the drier next to an external wall and therefore connect it to a vent directly.

In fact, the drier is going under an island unit positioned about six feet from the wall (in the middle of the room). I wondered if anyone knew whether I could connect the vent pipe to another plastic pipe or something under the floorboards which would then take the hot air the six or so feet over to the external wall and pass it through a vent in the wall, on the outside under the line of my floorboards? Would this work effectively?

My father said I can't because the vent pipe is designed to only go up from the appliance, not down, because hot air rises. I am a bit confused by this as an exhaust in a car is quite low down but still seems to work....

Can anyone advise me? My only other option is to just take the flexible vent pipe out a window each time the appliance is used (ruining the look of my sparkling new kitchen!) or to buy a new (un-vented) condensing tumble drier, which I have heard are not as good and which will obviously incur me more expense.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Last edited by Grahammazy : January 14th 05 at 07:56 AM
Junior Member

Do not go for a condense dryer, They are not coming close to a vented one

But your problem is...... condensation in the pipe

Where hot air comes into contact with cold air, you get condensation

the shorter the pipe the better. (but if the machine works for 2/3 minutes the hot air is forced out, but at the start up period You will get extra condensation, and as you are going down you have an added problem of standing condensation within the pipe, solution is a drainer within the PVC 110mm pipe to take the condensation out of it.

If that is solved this i wouldn't see a problem
Grunff

Mcluma wrote:
Do not go for a condense dryer, They are not coming close to a vented
one

Modern condensers are very effective, and have several advantages over
vented.

--
Grunff
Tony Hogarty

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:45:30 +0000, Mcluma wrote:

Do not go for a condense dryer, They are not coming close to a vented one

In what respect?
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Graham Jones

Grahammazy wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem during my kitchen refit. I ended up moving the
dryer and the washing machine to the garage. Best thing I ever did.
Bloody noisy things. Gave me me space in the kitchen as well. After all
a kitchen is for preparing food, it is not a laundry!

Graham

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Grahammazy" wrote in message

[...]

Many years ago my dad rigged up a system like you need, the vent was made to
go down under the floor and about 8 feet to be vented outside. I can't see
any probs with the hot air not making it out as it is forced out and not
like a fire/chimny situation. If there might be a problem with condensation
then why not just angle the vent downwards and the condensation will drian
out if required.

The kind of pipe he used was the rectangle section kind of pipe, I think it
was designed for the job as they made couplers that fit the flexable hose at
the drier end.

Paul

Tony Williams

In article ,
Grahammazy wrote:
[snip]
My father said I can't because the vent pipe is designed to only
go up from the appliance, not down, because hot air rises. I am a
bit confused by this as an exhaust in a car is quite low down but
still seems to work....

I initially installed our TD outlet going up vertically
to the extractor fan, so that it was sucked outside.
Rather crafty, or so I thought. Bit of a mistake.

Firstly the fluff nicely gummed up the extractor fan,
and then, being vertical, some fluff would always drop
back and accumulate at the bottom of the outlet hose,
enough to eventually impede the airflow.

The outlet hose now goes down, about a 12" drop and out
through the wall, with nothing that could act as a fluff
trap. For example, there is no grille on the outside (that
could accumulate fluff), just an open hole with a bent up
aluminium plate as a weather shield.

.............................................or to buy a new
(un-vented) condensing tumble drier, which I have heard are not
as good and which will obviously incur me more expense.

Condensing TD's are supposed to be ok these days, and if it
is a choice between a new TD and yet-another-hole-in-the-wall,
then I would stop and think about it.

--
Tony Williams.
Christian McArdle

Do not go for a condense dryer, They are not coming close to a vented
one

Completely false. My Bosch condensing dryer is excellent, better than any
vented one I have used. It must be admitted that some models are dire,
though. I had an old Hoover condensor that was awful.

Christian.