mitre saw stand

Old January 11th 05, 06:10 PM
simon beer

Default mitre saw stand

Any one seen or bought the mitre saw stand in B&Q. popped into my nearest 1
in Exeter on Saturday and saw this stand there. It looked totally
adjustable, was on wheels had work supports to the left and right and was
collapsible for transportation. Looked just the ticket for 29.99. If anyone
tried it, what's it like in use? Is it stable enough with the saw on it?
Thanks

--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

Old January 11th 05, 10:18 PM
Mathew J. Newton

Cicero wrote:
"simon beer" wrote in message
Any one seen or bought the mitre saw stand in B&Q. popped into my

nearest
1
in Exeter on Saturday and saw this stand there. It looked totally
adjustable, was on wheels had work supports to the left and right

and was
collapsible for transportation. Looked just the ticket for =A329.99.

If
anyone
tried it, what's it like in use? Is it stable enough with the saw

on it?
Thanks

--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D
I saw one this afternoon and I was quite impressed on the whole. It's
obviously a variation on the cheap and simple folding work benches

that are
available everywhere. I gave it a good shake to see how it felt and

it seems
quite firm. The only real problem appears to be the height adjustment

which
could make the top a bit wobbly with hard use. Bearing in mind the

type of
saw you're using it could be dangerous if it slipped down in use.

It's
probably good value for money if you're a light user but it might not

stand
up to professional use.

Did you see the other bench at B&Q at about =A360-00 which is a much

sturdier
bench and appears to be much better value but not so portable?

Cic.

I recently purchased one (the =A330 type) for a mitre saw and am pretty
impressed. Before I stumbled across it I was going to use a cheap bench
with some folding horses for wood support however for a comparable cost
I went for the saw bench.

I must say it's far more sturdier than my other 'cheap' workbench (also
B&Q), and even has a height adjuster on one of the feet to get a stable
footing. With regards to the concerns about the table height dropping
in use, this is avoided by using the supplied 'pegs in holes' (car jack
style) in addition to the screw-wheels that you may have only seen.

With regards to the 'collapsible for storage' claim - it does indeed
fold flat, but the support arms don't fold in (despite how the central
hinge may otherwise make you think) so it's still pretty 'long'.
Long-term storage would be no problem however as these support arms can
be unbolted without affecting the rest of the bench.

Whilst I'm no pro I'd certainly recommend it for DIY work - certainly
over the 'cheap bench and props' alternative that I was originally
planning on buying.

Mathew

Old January 13th 05, 09:42 AM
Andy Hall

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:16:37 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

It's rather more useful than 'specifically for mitre saws" ...
It's supplied with two clamps formed from box sections
into which coach bolts fit. The recommendation is to
affix the mitre /chop saw to a lump of mdf then use the bolts
to attach the 'lump' into the clamp bars. Different lumps of
mdf then can carry tile saws, bench drills whatever ... all
by buying extra coach bolts/washers. nuts.

The actual frame itself is quite handy for clamping timber
to, then planing/sanding/ drilling /chiselling ...and it's very
sturdy. It is 'designed' for portable use, rather than static use
... but it's very heavy ... it can be reduced in length and the
legs _do_ fold away ... but my definition of 'easily stored' and
B&Q's one seems somewhat different; nevertheless, I'm glad
I've got one.

---

Brian

Along the same lines, I can recommend the DeWalt DE7023 mitre saw
stand. Being mainly aluminium, it is very light yet rock solid. For
example, it will take my Makita LS1013 sliding compound mitre saw
weighing a not inconsiderable 32kg without flinching. It folds up
neatly into its own length for easy storage when not in use.

I use it for a variety of other things as well and bought extra pairs
of brackets as spares to be able to do a quick swap between machines.
There are even little rubber feet on the brackets so that the tool can
be put onto a surface without marring it.

Screwfix have them (47888 at 169.99), but I've seen them as low as
120 or so or bundled in a deal with a mitre saw.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl