Richard Hamer

Default How to replace a shower when I don't have matching tiles

Hello again,
I have posted another message in this group trying to get hold of some
obsolete tiles. Assuming I fail, I'd like to try another tack.

I have an old shower which needs replacing. It is one of those ugly jobs
with moulded back panel, and side panels. The modern, nicer looking showers
tend to just have two panels at best, relying on tiles for the back and side
faces. I have no tiles on the back/side, and the other tiles in my bathroom
are obsolete.

Does anyone have any suggestion on the best solution ...
(1) Buy a new "all in one" shower which again has 4 moulded walls -
expensive? Best place to view/buy?
(2) Retile the whole bathroom with some more modern looking tiles. The
existing tiles are sound and level, so tiling on top should be fast and look
good. However, involves a lot of hassle around existing fittings such as
cistern and sink, and may make the ceramic portion in contact with the wall
that bit too narrow.
(3) Tile with different tiles, jsut a simple cream/magnolia colour, in the
shower portion - due to little bits of boxing in on either side, it is
actually a self contained expanse, so the new tiles would end at a natural
break in the wall. Trouble is, they would still obviously look different,
and also the old tiles are a different size to any of these new fangled
ones, so I would have to use a very different size of tile, like those big
slabs or those small mosaics, rather than a tile which is
almost-but-not-quite the same size which would look very bad indeed.
(4) Is there anything I can line the wall with behind the shower, as a
single sheet of material, which would look attractive enough to fit in with
the bathroom, but not look as weird as non-matching tiles?

Alternatively, what would the best way be of recolouring the outside of the
existing ugly plastic shower housing to something more neutral - would paint
stay adhered to it (it is subject to movement, as with any shower wall)?
What kind of paint?

Thanks for any suggestions ...
Rich

Mike Dodd

(4) Is there anything I can line the wall with behind the shower, as a
single sheet of material, which would look attractive enough to fit in
with the bathroom, but not look as weird as non-matching tiles?

I might have missed the plot here (are we talking a shower enclosure, or
just the shower unit?), but how about a full sized mirror?, might be quite
smart, if a little kinky?

(before you shout, I still need to sober up)

Lobster

Richard Hamer wrote:

(4) Is there anything I can line the wall with behind the shower, as a
single sheet of material, which would look attractive enough to fit in with
the bathroom, but not look as weird as non-matching tiles?

How about coloured Perspex sheeting, or this:
http://www.norske-int.co.uk/pages/a_frame.html

hth
David
Richard Hamer

Thanks to David and Mike for their suggestions. We are talking about a
complete shower enclosure. The Mermaid panels look like they'd do the job -
they're sufficiently different from the tiles in size and texture that they
wouldn't look out of place, and it might look like it was properly designed
like that.

As for the mirror - that's also an intriguing idea!!! Has anyone done it
before? Do they tarnish in a showery environment? I can source enough spare
tiles to tile around the edges of something like a mirror or the Mermaid
panel, to tie it in with the rest of the room.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Rich

Lobster

Richard Hamer wrote:

As for the mirror - that's also an intriguing idea!!! Has anyone done it
before? Do they tarnish in a showery environment? I can source enough spare
tiles to tile around the edges of something like a mirror or the Mermaid
panel, to tie it in with the rest of the room.

Think I'd find the big mirror inside the shower cubical a bit 'kinky'
too, as someone else said! I'd also worry that it always look mucky,
unless it had just been windowlene'd.

Another thought off the top of my head; instead of large perspex panels
I wonder if you could use glass instead? The advantage to that would be
you could paint the panel behind to a really good match for your tiles
(get a Dulux/Leyland colour match paint made up?). Don't think glass
would show the dirt so much. It would need a perfect seal round the
glass of course, and I'm not sure about the practicalities (like what
you'd make the panel from. Skimmed plasterboard? Plywood?)

David

Richard Hamer

Thanks, I',m inclined to agree about the mirrow.
The tiles are very speckled (Johnson Waldorf Honey WF6 in case anyone's
reading who has a spare crateload) so matching them would be quite
difficult - though matching one of their two colours should be quite easy
with the right paint made up. I'd be more inclined to gow ith one of those
panels.

Unless you can get shower cubicles with 4 glass walls, in wihch case I can
then paint the two walls behind it to be a close match to one of the tiles'
colours.
Rich

"Lobster" wrote in message
Richard Hamer wrote:

[...]

Owain

"Lobster" wrote
| Another thought off the top of my head; instead of large perspex
| panels I wonder if you could use glass instead?

If it was spaced away from the wall then some coloured lights, or even an
LCD screen, could be fitted behind.

Owain

nightjar

"Richard Hamer" wrote in message
(4) Is there anything I can line the wall with behind the shower, as a
single sheet of material, which would look attractive enough to fit in
with the bathroom, but not look as weird as non-matching tiles?

Foamed PVC sheet is available in a variety of colours and a number of
thicknesses and has served me well as a sheet lining material for large
areas. Note: only the core is foamed - the skin is continouous and smooth.

Colin Bignell

reconstruction of shower stall and bathroom floor Spoon2001 Home Repair 2 March 12th 04 02:13 AM
Holes in tile from Shower Curtain - What to do? Gary Dyrkacz Home Repair 3 February 22nd 04 02:26 AM
Shower Pump Martin UK diy 2 January 26th 04 10:23 PM
Securing shower arm/head to wall John UK diy 2 October 29th 03 10:58 PM
Leaky AquaLisa shower AlexL UK diy 3 July 9th 03 09:27 AM