Mike Barnard

Default Anyone advise why wall tiles are not adhering well?

Hi.

Almost finished my kitchen and I'm in the tiling phase. The problem
is that many wall tiles keep falling off! Damn, I've done tiling
before and not had this problem, so whats up?

I have...

sealed the walls with 5:1 (as reccomended on the tin) water / PVA

Applied a nice thick layer of adhesive, with 5 mm ridges.

Pressed the tiles FIRMLY into place.

NOT left the adhesive to 'skin'.

Used two different adhesives from different suppliers. (The first was
on offer so I assumed it might be old and knackered, but the new stuff
is also losing a couple.)

Buttered some tiles to ensure the adhesive has no skin.

Left them 24 hours.

Not yet grouted.

Where the tiles have come away the imprint of the makers name and the
tiles ridging can be seen over the whole area, so I am making good
contact. This is annoying. It's not all of them, but the odd one
here and there and in particular an area of plywood boxing under the
boiler. The Tiles are black 4" x 4" from B&Q, made by 'Johnson'.
Used Unibond first then another whose name I can't remember ATM.

My google for tiles not adhering and other variations produced mostly
stuff on the shuttle and mirror tiles on a radio telescope! Anyone
care to offer some hints, please?

Again, many thanks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

Mark S.

On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:28:01 +0100, Mike Barnard
wrote:

[...]

Layer of dust on the tiles themselves? Not had any problems with my
bathroom but did wash the backs of the tiles beforehand due to the
dusty atmosphere I'd had them in before using them.

Mark S.

stuart noble

Layer of dust on the tiles themselves? Not had any problems with my
bathroom but did wash the backs of the tiles beforehand due to the
dusty atmosphere I'd had them in before using them.

Sounds like the tiles need sealing as well as the wall.

Mike Barnard

wrote:

Hi.

Almost finished my kitchen and I'm in the tiling phase. The problem

Just a quick thanks for the replies. More PVA will be making it's way
onto boxing and tiles tonight.

Cheap wall tiles PoP UK diy 16 March 5th 04 10:32 PM
Wall tiles from B&Q Troy UK diy 5 January 13th 04 10:02 AM
A few additional ceramic wall tiles needed Clive Long,UK UK diy 4 January 3rd 04 02:43 AM
Painting over Kitchen Wall Tiles Mary UK diy 0 November 14th 03 12:57 PM
wall tiles with 4mm depth: Can you get pvc edging that will fit these? William.R.Reisen UK diy 1 September 28th 03 06:38 PM