Paul \( Skiing8 \)

Default New internal Door into integral garage in a townhouse question

I have a question about adding a new door.

The situation is as follows....

It is a modern(3 years old) townhouse with the garage integrated. The garage
at the moment only has access through the main garage door and I would like
to add a door from the house into the garage because the washing machine is
in there. I have heard that some of the other townhouses that are the same
have done this already.

Is there any regulations regarding the addition of a door? I will be making
the door secure for security reasons but what about fire? Do I need planning
permission?

My other question I have is about what way the door should open. The garage
adjoins the house in a hallway, my preference would be to have the door open
into the garage because I won't be using the garage for a car, it is more
practical giving more room to manouver in the hallway.... any ideas or
suggestions? When I come to sell the house will it make a difference?

Cheers
Paul

Peter Crosland

You will need building regulations approval and AFAIK the door will have to
be fireproof

Peter Crosland

Tony Williams

In article ,
Paul \( Skiing8 \) wrote:

My other question I have is about what way the door should open.
The garage adjoins the house in a hallway, my preference would be
to have the door open into the garage because I won't be using
the garage for a car, it is more practical giving more room to
manouver in the hallway.... any ideas or suggestions? When I come
to sell the house will it make a difference?

We bought this house with a retrofitted door into the
attached garage. Apparently it is a Class 1 Firedoor
(or some such words), opening into the garage, with
self-closing chain thingy, and wire-reinforced glass
window. Looks quite ugly from the inside.

As soon as the insurance spotted a door into a garage
they required extra (lockable) security bolts on the
inside of the garage door.

Our next door neighbours did a similar thing, but changed
the garage door for a sliding patio door. That seemed to
avoid having to have a fire door.

--
Tony Williams.
Tom

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
You will need building regulations approval and AFAIK the door will have

be fireproof

Peter Crosland

There might be issues about relative floor levels as well. A visit to your
local building control office and ask for advice might be the way forward.
Cheers
Tom

Roger

The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:

You will need building regulations approval and AFAIK the door will have to
be fireproof

ISTR that it is also a requirement that there has to be a step down into
the garage so that when you have a sea of burning petrol in there it
cannot just flood under the fire door and into the house.

--
Roger

Dave Stanton

ISTR that it is also a requirement that there has to be a step down into
the garage so that when you have a sea of burning petrol in there it
cannot just flood under the fire door and into the house.

I seem to remember that as well.

Dave