How best to disguise a very small porcelain chip?

Old January 1st 05, 02:58 PM
Broadback

Default How best to disguise a very small porcelain chip?

I have just installed a new toilet, rather to my dismay when I came to
"polish off" the job what I thought was a black mark on the cistern is a
very small chip. As I bought the toilet some time ago I don't think it
would be reasonable for the retailer to replace it. Is there a way of
"painting" this blemish over? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old January 1st 05, 04:39 PM
Newshound

Tipex?

Old January 1st 05, 05:23 PM
Stephen Dawson

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have just installed a new toilet, rather to my dismay when I came to
"polish off" the job what I thought was a black mark on the cistern is a
very small chip. As I bought the toilet some time ago I don't think it
would be reasonable for the retailer to replace it. Is there a way of
"painting" this blemish over? Any suggestions appreciated.

A hat, dark glasses and a fake moustache ?? :-)

Old January 1st 05, 06:33 PM
Mike Harrison

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:58:59 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have just installed a new toilet, rather to my dismay when I came to
"polish off" the job what I thought was a black mark on the cistern is a
very small chip. As I bought the toilet some time ago I don't think it
would be reasonable for the retailer to replace it. Is there a way of
"painting" this blemish over? Any suggestions appreciated.

White enamel - try a model shop, White car paint (spray into cup and apply with brush), white
Hammerite

Old January 1st 05, 07:42 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Broadback wrote:

I have just installed a new toilet, rather to my dismay when I came to
"polish off" the job what I thought was a black mark on the cistern is a
very small chip. As I bought the toilet some time ago I don't think it
would be reasonable for the retailer to replace it. Is there a way of
"painting" this blemish over? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ask your dentist nicely.
Old January 9th 05, 01:27 PM
Broadback

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Broadback wrote:

I have just installed a new toilet, rather to my dismay when I came to
"polish off" the job what I thought was a black mark on the cistern is
a very small chip. As I bought the toilet some time ago I don't think
it would be reasonable for the retailer to replace it. Is there a way
of "painting" this blemish over? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ask your dentist nicely.

Thanks you all for you help, problem now resolved. I purchased the item
mid October from a local plumbers merchants (Jones & Shufflebottom), I
gave them a ring after the New Year, conversation went like this.
"I bought, among other things, a cistern from you last October. I only
got around to installing it just before Christmas, when I came to clean
it what I though was a black mark was a small chip. Any ideas?"
"Certainly, we will order replacement now and phone you when it arrives,
no charge."_
Now I remember why I go to local suppliers when possible.
Old February 1st 05, 05:54 PM
Peter Scott

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have just installed a new toilet, rather to my dismay when I came to
"polish off" the job what I thought was a black mark on the cistern is a
very small chip. As I bought the toilet some time ago I don't think it
would be reasonable for the retailer to replace it. Is there a way of
"painting" this blemish over? Any suggestions appreciated.

I've a similar problem with a Belfast sink. I am going to try
a white epoxy filler similar to the stuff you use on car bodies.
I've already filled the deeper part of the (quite large) chip
and it has survived water, detergent and other chemicals. I am
therefore quite hopeful. I'll polish it with increasingly fine wet and
dry papers.

Anyone think I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Peter Scott